Hunting Grendel got wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to use the DCM concept for floating the rifle-length handguards. A very kind forum member sent me some of his rifle-length wooden handguards, so I will open up the ID of the front of them in order to fit a handguard cap that is attached to the concealed free-float tube, which is threaded to a DCM barrel nut.

Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Y85
      Warrior
      • Sep 2012

excellent -- pls post pics when you are done (and as you go thru the process)

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        I'm going to use the DCM concept for floating the rifle-length handguards. A very kind forum member sent me some of his rifle-length wooden handguards, so I will open up the ID of the front of them in order to fit a handguard cap that is attached to the concealed free-float tube, which is threaded to a DCM barrel nut.
        This may be a stupid question, but is heat not a concern with that set up?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFrankZ View Post
          This may be a stupid question, but is heat not a concern with that set up?
          There's more heat dissipation with free-float than with standard handguards captivated by the handguard cap. When we had old school handguards in the Army, I used to get smoking handguards even in slow-fire on the qualification range. When I run 500-800 rounds in a day through a float-tubed upper, I don't see smoke.

My concealed free-float tube will be made from 6061 aluminum, with vent holes cut all over it, and lightening grooves as well.

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Tell us more about the free float tube. How does the reamed out end cap attached to the tube? Silver soddered? Is it a homemade affair, or a mod from an existing commercial item. Do they come in mid length? I am not following your comment about DCM concept. Does it still use a D ring near the barrel nut? I am considering wood furniture, and I talked to Clem at AR15wood.com in South Dakota. They make Lucid. I think they have mid length wood hand guards. I am thinking there is potential to make a mid length traditional D ring/end cap system into free floating using your method. I think mid length wood hand guards are round so one would have to use a round end cap instead of triangular. I am in in the early stages of trying to determine if this is doable. I may have to resign my effort to accept a non free float system. Thanks.

I have done some research on the DCM concept and found a few vendors that make the tube above. It may be tough to find a tube compatible with mid length gas systems. Any suggestions on how I can make mine free floating? It also appears that the gas tube needs a bit of bending to fit the tube. Compass lake offers to do that, or sell you their tube. Again this is all for rifle length systems, and mine is mid length.
            Last edited by Sputnik; 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X