16" AA + FDE Cerakote + Projectile Spread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" AA + FDE Cerakote + Projectile Spread

Here's what my 16" has evolved into lately. Also some props for the Updated Projectile Selection photos.

A few of mine and the wife's blasters....

Thanks to LR1955 for the JP Barrel, ACE SOCOM stock, and a ton of other parts. Here's what I threw together with the JP barrel and ACE SOCOM:

Comment

Nice gaggle of Grendels-the FDE and black look pretty sharp together. You missing anything for the projectile project at this point?

Comment

• skyfish
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Nice, the black rifle on the end. Is that a glue gun mounted on the rail, They all look great, like the look of your handgaurd on the 16" in the first pic.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Sweet! You work bench looks a lot like mine.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Nice Sticks. But great now them glue guns will be in short supply!

Comment

Very nice collection! I like the desert tan.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Especially like the black accents on the one with the JP barrel.

Do you do your own coating?

(Any particular bullets needed for the photo shoot? Maybe some of us can pitch in...)
                Drifter

Comment

Yes, I do the Cerakoting all myself. I start by stripping the parts bone dry, and spray them individually in a paint booth on hooks, then transfer them to an oven for curing at higher temps. It's pretty tedious, especially as you don't often get a solid coat the first go-around, even though it looks like you do, so you have to touch up areas and re-bake them to get 100% coverage...which get's real fun when doing patterns.

I have only about 50% of the projectiles available for the Grendel, if you can believe it. There's a complete thread on it in the reloading section, called "Updated Grendel Projectile List". You can see what I have and don't have on a spreadhseet put together by Rickoshay. Several forum members have been very helpful by sending me projectiles they may happen to have-just 1x samples is all I need for the photo.

The handguard on the 16" is an Apex Machine 12" free-float rail, which has integral QD sling swivel sockets already built into it, and an aggresive checkering machined into the handguard surface, as you can see.

I'm also really diggin the lightweight MI 12" Lo-Pro handguard, seen on the all-FDE carbine.

Two of the grips are the new Magpul MOE+, rubber-coated MOE grips, and they feel great.

Comment

• COLDSTEEL77

Thats some damn fine looking rifles man.

Comment

I've got a bad case of rifle envy, nice collection.

Are those a couple of Midwest Gen2 Handguards? How do you like them? With the smaller diameter(1-1/2") any issues the gas block hitting it?

Comment

• ericv
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2011

Nice collection for sure.

That's not a glue gun but the new Spider Man attachment
                        Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                        www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                          I've got a bad case of rifle envy, nice collection.

Are those a couple of Midwest Gen2 Handguards? How do you like them? With the smaller diameter(1-1/2") any issues the gas block hitting it?
                          I do like the MI handguards a lot, if you're looking to reduce weight. I did find an issue with my VLTOR clamp-on low-profile gas block, which barely touches the inner diameter of the tube, forcing me to use a set screw low-pro gas block.

The MI low-pro handguard would make a great component for a hunting stick, where weight is a consideration.

I thought I was set on handguards years ago with the JP/VTAC, then came along the Troy TRX/VTAC, and then I tried the APEX, and now this MI. I own them all, and have used the TRX's the most, which is what is on my wife's blaster (TRX/VTAC).

Comment

yeah. I never been a FDE guy but damn those are some sharp looking rifles.

Comment

Great looking guns! Is the FDE color you used for the hand guards a stock Cerakote color, if so how does it match?
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2012, 10:39 PM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Working...
                              X