• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Starting the Build

Pretty standard,,, Black Rain Ordinance Upper, Lower and charging handle, Magpul PRS...picking up Geissele fire control group tomorrow,,,still looking for a barrel..
    Attached Files

Looks like you're getting ready to drop a nice target barrel in there. What length are you looking at? A 20" or longer would make a lot of sense. That billet upper should support a nice medium-heavy contour pipe.

Comment

• Buster
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

Indeed, I'm contemplating a 22"+ bull barrel

Comment

I honestly don't think you need more than 22" for a target gun, but if you were to go longer than 24", I would look into an extended-length gas system to balance out your dwell time. Either way, make absolutely sure you get an adjustable gas block so you can tune your system. If you can get the Berger 130gr VLD's going 2500fps, you'll have an 800yd gun easy, with 1000yd+ on mild or no-wind days. 600yds isn't much of a challenge with the 123gr Lapua and AMAX, unless the wind gets crazy.

What optics and mount are you looking at?

Comment

• Buster
          Warrior
          • Mar 2012

This is exactly the reason I joined this forum!
          I'm looking to shoot no more than 500 yrds down here in Dixie,,,but I may end up out in West TX (wind) where my 2 boys live (when I retire) so I can show them what a long range (1000+ yds) gun is all about.
          I'm wide open as a butch knife about optics (since I'm getting old and can't see shit like I use to).....and mounts, I have a one piece, EX0027, on my Armalite AR-10 that does well for me with a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm out to 200-250 yds.

$$$ not really an object in this build, but obviously want the most bang for my buck (no pun intended)

I appreciate your dialog on this topic
          Last edited by Buster; 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

finally a fellow alabamian! I live in georgia for my job but am originally from selma area. anyway, templar custom is the quickest turnaround ive found on barrels.LRRPF52 recommended him to me. Bob at templar will answer all your questions and do the barrel how u want it. He will also suggest something better if he sees fit. he told me about 6 weeks on a bartlein barrel, but has or had a rock creek in stock that he could start on pretty quick. give him a call 877-878-2334. My barrel was around $600.

Comment

• Buster
              Warrior
              • Mar 2012

Thanks for the barrel tip ric and ....Roll Tide!!

Comment

Grizzly.com has several 6.5mm Bartlein blanks ready to go right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                  Thanks for the barrel tip ric and ....Roll Tide!!
                  youre welcome. RTR

Comment

• usmc1371
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2011

+1 on the adjustable gas block.

Comment

• Buster
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

Well, I couldn't stand it any long. Ordered a 24" upper from JSE on Friday (4/20) and got it yesterday (4/25).
                      Still need struggling with what optics to go with......coupled with shakey contract negotiations at work will make me sit tight in that department for the next few days, but will start to season it tomorrow.....

gtg.jpg

Comment

Have you looked at the Horus Vision Scopes? http://www.horusvision.com/

I Have the predator model, and I absolutely love it! No dialing of turrets to adjust for hold overs and windage! Just dial it in for 100yds and use the reticle to adjust for come up and windage, very fast and easy to use with superb repeatability. The glass is very high quality too!

Comment

Nice build buster, hope to see range reports soon, and hope even more to be posting my build soon!

Comment

• Buster
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                            Have you looked at the Horus Vision Scopes? http://www.horusvision.com/

I Have the predator model, and I absolutely love it! No dialing of turrets to adjust for hold overs and windage! Just dial it in for 100yds and use the reticle to adjust for come up and windage, very fast and easy to use with superb repeatability. The glass is very high quality too!
                            Have not seen the Horus' but will certainly do more investigating...looks interesting! Thanks!

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                            Nice build buster, hope to see range reports soon, and hope even more to be posting my build soon!
                            Thanks, ric, I hoping for you too buddy...and all the rest of the "waiting horde"!

Comment

• Buster
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2012

First time out with the new build (100 yds):

G1.JPG

Yeah, I know, "I can do better than that with a 10/22"

That was with no optics,,,iron sights that looked like this:

G2.jpg

Yes, I know that looks redneck looking as hell.
                              But the results from a new gun, cold barrel, redneck sights, made me almost shit down both legs with excitement at the possibilities with some good optics and some practice...this Grendel ROCKS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X