• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Lightweight Grendel - round 2

Had originally assembled this last summer and took hunting in CO last November. Heavier than I wanted so I began looking for ways to shave weight. Ditched the original JPE railed gas block (8+ oz) for a PRI adjustable low pro and switched the mid-length Mk-10+ handguard for an extra length one. I still saved 4+ oz on the switch. She now weighs 6.5 lbs without optics. The LaRue mount with Viper PST and Burris red dot weigh 2 lbs. Still heavier than I'd like to lug in CO mountains. I'm looking for lightweight scope/mount for CO but I'll use the Viper PST/Burris combo for flatland hunting.

The Burris red dot is great! I was easily hitting steel silhouettes (upper body size) at 200 yds.

AA upper/lower
    18" Satern Spartan Grendel
    AA Mk-10+ extra length handguard
    Geisselle SSA
    MOE stock/grip
    Warped Titanium brake (awesome!)

light_grendel1.jpglight_grendel2.jpglight_grendel3.jpg
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • leopard6.5

BjornF16: Do you have to have a single scope mount or can you use two separate scope mounts?

I ask because the lightest yet strongest scope mounts I found are the Badger Ordnance Max Alloy rings. The ones I've used are the P/N 306-18 MAX-Alloy.

They are 5.1 ounces each so can save you some weight over the mount you have.

If you look at them and decide they will help you let me know as I have a set I was getting ready to list for sale( sold the scope I used them with so don't need them)
    that I could give you a good price on. Just let me know.

Good luck

Lee

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Looks darn good.

Don't know what the titanium brake weighs, but it might be worth comparing it to potential lighter options (such as A2 birdcage, or perhaps just a thread protector).

Regarding optics, it seems a little redundant to have both a variable power scope and a reddot sight. You might consider a fixed power scope to save some weight, or lose the reddot if you stick with a variable. Keep it simple.

For a mount, individual non-QD aluminum rings might save some additional weight. The QD one-piece mount seems unnecessary if you're not going to have BUIS.

My suggestions are not intended to be critical of your current setup. I like it as it sits. But if the primary goal is to shed some weight for a particular hunting application, just thought I would throw out a few potential options.
      Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I've already decided to find a lightweight scope/mount combo for the stalk hunts...they'll be individual rings with a lightweight scope. Just haven't decided on the combo. My original thought for the Burris was rapid acquisition at close range (in particular for bears, but also for stumbling upon elk in trees) where time is critical.

The Ti mb weighs approx 2 oz. Doesn't seem like much, but I have a better appreciation for "every oz counts", so for CO I'll just put a thread protector on.

I don't know if I can shave off additional weight by replacing the Magpul MOE stock...any suggestions?

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post

I don't know if I can shave off additional weight by replacing the Magpul MOE stock...any suggestions?
          Doubtful on that one. But depending upon how your setup is operating, you might could use a lighter buffer weight, and maybe a lighter bolt carrier too. Look at the JPE LMOS (sp?) components. Perhaps this 1.7 oz gas block would allow tuning your system to work with the lighter components:

(Also sold via MidwayUSA under the AR-Stoner brand name.)

Bet you could shave another quarter pound or more with the buffer and bolt carrier.
          Drifter

Comment

• leopard6.5

BjornF16: The lightest buttstock I've been able to find is the ACE AKFX as long as you don't need it to be collapseable.

The problem with trying to save weight on the BCG is if you go lighter it may affect how the rifle cycles.

When I built my lightweight rifle, I went with the 16" Satern Spartan barrel, which is really 14" with a built-in flashhider to make it the required 16".

That barrel weighs 1.1 lb. where the 18" weighs 2.2 lbs. plus the flashhider. It was the lightest barrel I've ever felt for that length since it is double fluted like yours.

You're finding what I did when I did my build, that there are only so many places to save any weight.
            Mine ended up being just under 5 lbs. without the scope or rings.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

Looking good. Thanks for the pictures. I'm rebuilding mine today with your handguard.

Comment

That is an awesome set-up as-is. Looks like a great all-round carbine. Best place to shave weight is on the barrel, but I'd hate to see that barrel butchered any.

Comment

looks good.

if you can find the rail space, running your RDS at 45 degrees/1:30 off the top rail either in front of or behind the main optic will be easier and more intuitive as it doesn't require breaking your cheek weld, you simply cant the whole gun to the left (for a right handed shooter)

Also, having the optic closer to the bore will make POA/POI closer at very close range (the intended range for a backup RDS on a scoped AR)

YMMV

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Yes, I'd like to have the Burris on the handguard, but the AA Mk10+ does not have the option to place a rail at 45 degrees...Is there a mount that would place it at 45 degrees?

Comment

very nice!

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Range Report

I seriously need to work on my benchrest technique...I tried various holds including a not very well weighted Caldwell Lead Sled...

Ultimately what worked best for me was to leave the end of the handguard resting on top of leather sand bag, with the stock sitting in rabbit ear sand bag (also leather). I set it up such that without touching the rifle, the aimpoint was at bullseye. I then "mounted" the gun, pulling the stock slightly into arm and squeezing rabbit ears to fine tune elevation.

I found pulling the stock in too tight my groups were large; not pulling stock in enough and my groups were large. I finally found the middle ground and managed this grouping:

Light_grendel_grouping_29Jan12.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                          Yes, I'd like to have the Burris on the handguard, but the AA Mk10+ does not have the option to place a rail at 45 degrees...Is there a mount that would place it at 45 degrees?
                          You could try the Daniel Defense 1 o'clock offset mount if your handguard allows for 3 o'clock rail mounting or the Matt Burkett mount by Preadator Tactical for a 12 o'clock rail.

Comment

Will have to try loosening up on the grip. Nice group.

Comment

Working...
                            X