New 6.5 Grendel Deer/Hog/Coyote Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 6.5 Grendel Deer/Hog/Coyote Rifle

I finally finished a build that I had been collecting parts for since last December (2010). I have kept a watch on this group; thanks for the ideas and comments. I took this rifle to the range yesterday for its initial function check and sight-in, thought I would post a couple of pictures and a really short range report.

The basic info on this rifle:

Liberty 18" barrel, 8" twist, deep fluted, bead blasted, mid-length gas system
    LAR A3 upper receiver (blem, bought for a great price, can't see the flaw)
    YHM Low Pro gas block
    Vortex flash hider
    Midwest Gen I 10" carbine length free-float handguard
    Palmetto State Armory lower receiver
    Palmetto State Armory H3 buffer
    Rock River Arms LPK with 2-stage NM trigger
    Rock River Arms BCG
    Magpul CTR & MOE furniture
    Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 scope
    Burris P.E.P.R. mount
    Alexander Arms 10 round mags

At the range I found that there were not any issues with functioning at all, simply lubed-up with CLP and started shooting. I did learn that my normal "scope sight" practice of zeroing at 25 yards and then moving to 100 yards was not a great idea, as I forgot that the 2.7" sight height above the bore gives a different trajectory than a normal bolt-action rifle: I shot right over the 100 yard target for a few rounds until I figured out what was going on. I did the initial sight-in with Wolf 120 GR ammo, and then switched to Hornady 123 GR A-Max for the final adjustment, as that is the round I plan to hunt with. A picture of my first group with that ammo is included; about .875" measured. Not too bad, considering that I was resting the forearm on a sandbag, but shoulder-supporting the stock without any rear bag or support. I know that I can shoot better than that with all the "bench-rest" support stuff, but I was primarily concerned about having a good sight zero for a hunt next Saturday. Either way, I am very pleased so far. I will report further if I get another range session, and will post pictures of the first game taken (assuming I get lucky enough).
    Attached Files
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Nice Piece.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Very nice group considering the lack of bench rest paraphernalia. What's she weigh?

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Welcome, and nicely done!

Comment

Looks sweet and shoots great, good job.

Comment

Working...
          X