X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

A collection of Grendels!

All black, and all on white so the details are easily seen!

First, a GDMR from AA. This was one of the rifles sent to Washington for the Meet and Shoot. 20", billet upper.

Then, the Ultralite. This thing weighs in at 5.5 pounds, and can be held easily and fired as a pistol.

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Yep, that's an integrated flash hider on the Ultralite, built right into the barrel itself!

Then, a 16" piston carbine.

Seriously cool knurling on the front of the barrel, done with a unique knurling process. (Maybe Bill Alexander will see these and jump on to tell us how it was done!)

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

A couple GDMR versions: Billet upper in back, standard upper in front.

Big Brother-Little Brother: 28" GSR in front, 20" GDMR in back.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc
        The guns look good, too, but they're so...BLACK!
        Thank you. Certainly not to the standard my wife would do, but it works. But I had promised to take some for several different people, and in the middle of a home remodel, I just have not had any chance. This was about 30 minutes late the other day. If I had some daylight I could do much better.

Some are captured because they soon will NOT be black, and I wanted to get a decent before and after.

If anyone has something they would like to see before I ship the AA weapons off, please let me know.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          The Ultralite. This thing weighs in at 5.5 pounds...
          I really like the fluting on that barrel. Most other fluted barrels I've seen have shallower cuts.

Also, is the handguard made solely for AA, or is it an aftermarket item anyone can buy? If the latter, who's the maker?

Comment

• leopard6.5

Stan: I'm not sure on that particular carbonfiber handguard on Bill's Ultralight but Briley makes one that looks just like the one I have on the GDMR rifle I have for sale in the classified section.

I asked AA back when I bought my upper who's handguard they had used but I never got an answer. The Briley however looks just like the one I have.
            Hopefully this helps.

Bill: Thanks for sharing the pictures. They all look great. What have you heard about the reason for the knurling( just cosmetic, better cooling,etc.)?

I had heard from Bill A. that it actually gives better heat dissipation than fluting and looks pretty cool also. Is that barrel stainless? I just wondered if it could be done to a regular stainless barrel and be left shiny for that bling factor?

Lee

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Leopard, it definitely creates more surface area for cooling.

As I understood, it can be done to any stainless barrel and does not cause stresses in the barrel.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                I really like the fluting on that barrel. Most other fluted barrels I've seen have shallower cuts.

Also, is the handguard made solely for AA, or is it an aftermarket item anyone can buy? If the latter, who's the maker?
                I believe those are Briley tubes, also.

That barrel is tiny, too. The machine work to create the Ultralite is what makes them so spendy. I don't think the fluting is deeper, but because the barrel is smaller, it appears that way.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Thanks for the feedback on the Briley handguard, guys.

Bill, many years ago I was a machinist apprentice, and knurling was one thing taught in the program. There was a lathe tool with two "wheels" that were serrated in opposite directions. Pressed against the rotating bar stock, it produced a knurled surface. I'd imagine AA used the same method to knurl that barrel.

Personally, I like the looks of the fluted barrel better. But, I suppose the knurled barrel could do double duty as sort of an oversize rat tail file...

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Stan, as I understand it, the method you describe is what is typically used to knurl something, but I think there was some special process to do this to a manufactured barrel without damaging the bore.

And yes, the Ultralite is seriously cool with those flutes and its weight.

Comment

Wow man nice rifles. great quality pics. thank you

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        The Ultralite. This thing weighs in at 5.5 pounds...
                        All the weight reduction measures -- butchering the bolt carrier, fluting the minimum legal length barrel, integral flash suppressor, carbon fiber handguard, eliminating iron sights -- and it still tips the scales at 5.5 pounds??? I find this rather discouraging.

Is an ultralightweight (4-5 lbs) 6.5 Grendel AR just not feasible?

Comment

Ace ultra light stock? That would help.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                            All the weight reduction measures -- butchering the bolt carrier, fluting the minimum legal length barrel, integral flash suppressor, carbon fiber handguard, eliminating iron sights -- and it still tips the scales at 5.5 pounds??? I find this rather discouraging.

Is an ultralightweight (4-5 lbs) 6.5 Grendel AR just not feasible?
                            Well, that tripod hasn't been lightened any!

I haven't weighed it, I'm going from memory. I'll actually weigh it and see.

Comment

would one of those "carbon fiber" lowers and or uppers help this out any?

Comment

Working...
                              X