• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sudden Death
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2015

Grendel Newbie

Hello Everybody.
    This is my first post. I am a 6.5 grendel newbie.
    I have built other AR's chambered in other calibers, but this is my first 6.5 build. I love how this rifle has turned out. Have not had a chance to send any rounds down range, but hope to soon. I plan on using Hornady 123 gr SST factory rounds until I develop my own handload formulation. Here are some of the build details.
    20" SS HBAR 1X8 twist Barrel with muzzel brake by AR15parts.com
    Voodoo Innovations - M16 Lifecoat Integral Bolt Carrier
    Vltor BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    Spikes Punisher lower (DIY paint job)
    CMMG lower parts kit
    JARD 1-1/2 pound trigger
    Magpul UBR stock
    Hogue Grip
    SWFA Scope Rings
    Vortex Viper HD 6-24X50
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sudden Death; 12-15-2015, 03:53 AM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard, and sweet pole ax.

Do you reload already? We put together some comprehensive reloading handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel, with a lot of input from the forum.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sudden Death
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2015

Thank You.
      Yes I already reload. Im always looking for good information and just ordered Volume 1 and 2. Thanks for the link.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Nice rifle, let us know how it shoots.

Comment

• Sudden Death
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2015

Finally was able to make it to the range today, and this is one fine shooting rifle. For anybody who is questioning if AR15part.com barrels are any good, I can say for me they are. This was my first shooting this rifle using factory Hornady 123gr A-MAX ammo. At 100 yards I shot a .320 moa group.
          Attached Files

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

-.256 should be -.264

Comment

• Sudden Death
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2015

forgot to mention, the black dots are covering up my two shot groups that I was shooting to set my zero. I lifted up a couple of stickers to show that each two shot group fit under one sticker. I am sold on the 6.5. After my buddy witnessed this, he decided his next build is going to be a 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Sudden Death
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2015

My bad. thanks for correcting me. Even better...

Comment

• danm
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

Sweet shooting, especially for a first run... My 18" BHW build started out .75 moa then after several trips halved to .375 and finally my last time out last month got a .250 so either the barrel got better or I did... maybe both? Love this round!

Comment

• Clays23
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Sweet looking rifle. I have had excellent results with factory sst ammo out of my Grendel and have found them to be very effective on whitetail
                    Joshua 1:9

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sudden Death View Post
                      Thank You.
                      Yes I already reload. Im always looking for good information and just ordered Volume 1 and 2. Thanks for the link.
                      Did you get your Reloading handbooks yet?

Merry Christmas
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sudden Death
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2015

Yes. I got them within a couple days of ordering. Thank you for the prompt shipping. Great books!!

Comment

• Cali-Coon-ass
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2015

Wow. This is my first post I think. That is almost like my rifle, at least what's bolted on. I didn't "build" mine, I heard about this caliber from a friend who has 3 he built. I had just bought a SCAR17 and was blown away by the out of the box sub MOA accuracy. Spent some time developing rounds for it and really was surprised and happy and for all I knew, done buying guns. Then the AA Overwatch uppers went on sale at Midway, and they were in stock, so no waiting. I bit and bought one, since they were GUARANTEED to have been test fired by AA at sub MOA or better! I also bought the reloading hand books, and some AA brass, (Hornady w/AA head stamp) and went to first putting some PPU through it just to see if it worked. I bolted on a S&W lower on it just to get it going. It has NO sights at all, so I took off the brand new Vortex Viper PST FFP 4x16x50 and bolted it on the new 6.5. The first day was about 60 PPU rounds and I was pleasantly surprised.

Next, I spring for the Geiselle Super SCAR for that rifle, and at the same time, (they were on sale at Primary Arms), sprung for the National Match adjustable trigger for the 6.5. WOW. What a difference in BOTH guns! I have this thing dialed where if you breathe on it holes go in whatever is in front of it so I have to be REAL carefull! Took my new loads out and put them all in the same hole. It didn't seem to matter which powder. AMAX 120s were all I could get that day at the local brick and mortar, so that is what I loaded. Unbelievable. I have never had such precision from anything I have ever shot before, and it is so easy! It just works!

Then I recently sprung for the new AA lower that is stamped "6.5 Grendel" just to be all AA and "authentic"... I moved the trigger into that lower, and was then stuck with what stock to add? I see lots of PRS, which are HEAVY, but then again, this thing is like tank artillary and very front heavy with that collapsing carbine stock on it, so I left the S&W alone and sprung for the UBR. Not as heavy, but really balanced out that weight lifting bar! Added a Harris, and a Magpul rail mounted sling loop and the associated Magpul convertable sling, which now QDs into the stock and Para Clips onto the rail, so I can jungle sling it tactical style, and I am not worried about it falling of. Yeah, it weighs a lot for a rifle that is supposed to be a light weight AR platform tack driver, but now I am looking at it as a long range sniper weapon. I loaded some Californicated lead free TTSXs. E-Tips soon to follow when they release them. The deer are VERY scared. Meanwhile, here is the steel plate man sized AR400 set up at 360 yards, and working up the loads at 100 yards:
                          img_1452.jpgimg_1455.jpg
                          I'll get off my butt and submit pix of the completed rifle next.
                          Last edited by Cali-Coon-ass; 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X