Banned
    • Apr 2011

Royal Marines Want 6.5 Grendel?

• KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Both of them?

Comment

"The weight versus the rounds isn't really an issue. A twenty round magazine weighs exactly the same as a thirty round magazine for the SA80, so that's a trade-off they're willing to make. Twenty rounds in that sharpshooter is not enough, especially at close-quarters. That's a massive limitation of that weapon system," said the source.
      A 30rd 5.56 magazine, fully-loaded is like 1.1 to 1.2 lbs., depending on the load. I just checked what a 30rd PMAG weighs with the 70gr Barnes, and it's 1.2 lbs.

A 20rd 7.62 NATO magazine, fully-loaded is over 1.6 lbs., depending on the load. I just checked what a 20rd PMAG weighs with a 150gr projectile, and it's 1.64 lbs.

Sounds like they just want more 7.62 DMC's, which is what they should have in the inventory anyway for being able to tailor the force to the region/AOR per METT-TC. Last I heard, they have HK417's. Royal Marines have had Diemaco Carbines for a long time, but not as a primary service rifle-the SA80 has filled that position.

Sounds like the source of the article is the same one Tony Williams references recently.

Comment

Working...
      X