• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Combat Mag Changes

Question: Is it worthwhile teaching regular infantry (let alone non-infantry personnel) the speed reloading technique? Or would it be better to just teach the tactical reload, and have the troops practice it sufficiently to minimize reloading time and maximize the benefits of muscle memory?

In the multitude of combat videos I've viewed, I have yet to come across a single instance of a speed reload with the M4 or M16. The video below is typical of the combat mag changes I've seen. Note that his final mag change is done on the run, which means a speed reload would've resulted in a lost magazine.

• Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

Magazine retention is something that is practiced with any unit I have been with. IMHO speed reload is a great technique if you are in a competition or in a lone LEO gunfight...maybe even in some SpecOps scenarios. Normal infantry unit? Not in my unit.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

Comment

You want to train for both, but 99% of your mag changes will be tactical reloads. There's a Marine who is paralyzed from the waist down because his unit never trained on any type of reloading procedure. You frequently see him in many of the Magpul training videos in a wheelchair.

Whatever type of organization you are in, you want to train your weapons manipulation in all the types of uniform/gear ensembles you could possibly be in, and from behind cover for most situations, as well as in inopportune scenarios such as
      * running from cover to cover where in a worst-case, you didn't have time to reload,
      * during break-contact drills,
      * around buildings and different types of structures,
      * around vehicles, etc.

It's then important to work your individual weapon manipulation and marksmanship drills into your 2-man buddy teams so that communication and coordination are emphasized, which allows constant fire or observation on key avenues of approach/enemy contact, while managing the micro logistics aspect of the soldier's load.

One useful approach to this is to simulate these scenarios with the unit and compete with each other, while the others watch your performance to give you feedback. One unit I spent a little time with did this by having us all take a knee in a circle facing each other, and each guy would go through a mag change individually, followed by the next while someone ran a stopwatch.

That said, most of the mag-change drills need to be part of a Close Quarters Marksmanship live-fire package, since fully-loaded mags handle much differently than empties.

Comment

Many of the complex attacks in Afghanistan take place during the hours of darkness. Have your folks practice reloading in the dark. If they have arranged the mags properly and do the same technique the same way all the time, they will be successful.

My first two rounds in my mag are tracers. When those fire I know it is time to reload. If I have a problem prior to that it is a weapon malfunction.

I teach the same with my sidearm.

Comment

Working...
        X