• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OLd Man
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2012

Deer with Grendle

Shot this deer at 320 with the Grendel. Got good penetration. The deer was quartering away and got hit in the side just in front of the back leg and recovered the bullet in front of the front leg just under the skin. About 20" penetration. SST11-2013 180.jpgIMG_0349.jpg
    Last edited by OLd Man; 11-13-2013, 02:09 AM.

excellent job, it looks as if the bullet preformed as it should have. Beautiful Deer as well congrats.

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

Nice deer!
      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

Good shooting and nice buck Old Man. If you get a chance let us know the weight of the recovered bullet.

Comment

• OLd Man
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2012

I also got an elk with a 338 Win Mag while I was out west. While there I tracked an elk shot with a 7mm four times. After seeing that and the little damage from a 7mm I would never try to kill an elk with a Grendel or any 6.5. I am not saying it can't be done, but for the sake of the animal I would recommend a large heavy bullet. These animals were nearly 800 lbs. I recommend a trip out west at least once in a lifetime.

Comment

• tackdriver
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

Nice buck, the grendel did a fine job at 320 is what it seems!

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
              Nice buck, the grendel did a fine job at 320 is what it seems!
              +1 on the SST doing a good job. and you too...

Comment

No offence, but I have to admit I got a chuckle when I read "Deer with Grendel." My imagination got the best of me I pictured a deer in a hunting cap holding a Grendel AR. I guess that I should stop watching cartoons with my kids.
                Of course my next thought was the classic "Support Americans' Right to Arm Bears."

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by OLd Man View Post
                  I also got an elk with a 338 Win Mag while I was out west. While there I tracked an elk shot with a 7mm four times. After seeing that and the little damage from a 7mm I would never try to kill an elk with a Grendel or any 6.5. I am not saying it can't be done, but for the sake of the animal I would recommend a large heavy bullet. These animals were nearly 800 lbs. I recommend a trip out west at least once in a lifetime.
                  I have a feeling a bigger rifle wouldn't have changed that situation one iota.

Comment

Nice harvest sir! Also interested in the recovered weight of the SST. Was it the 123gr or 129gr? Factory or hand load? Are you saying this was a 320yd shot? Very nice.

A lot of the problem is hunters shooting magnums at lightning speeds with bullets that come apart on the outside of the animal. Granted, if I'm primarily hunting 800lb animals, the AR15 isn't exactly what comes to mind.

Comment

• OLd Man
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2012

The elk was shot in the chest on the first shot, where I would have said dead elk by it's placement, but lacked penetration I think due to hitting ribs and being fired at close range. It was fatal I would say, but not quick or clean. As I said it is only my opinion.

Comment

• Blacklab
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2012

picture perfect. Congrats
                        Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

I'm primarily hunting 800lb animals, the AR15 isn't exactly what comes to mind.

Why not in a 308/338 Federal etc AR platform works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
                            I'm primarily hunting 800lb animals, the AR15 isn't exactly what comes to mind.

Why not in a 308/338 Federal etc AR platform works great.
                            Here's my original quote:

Granted, if I'm primarily hunting 800lb animals, the AR15 isn't exactly what comes to mind.
                            The .308 and .338 Federal don't fit in the AR15's magazine well. I've owned 5 different AR10's, and they tend to be very heavy guns because of the receiver size, bolt carrier group mass, and barrel shank. Within 200yds, with the right bullet in the Grendel, you can bring a large Elk down, as some have done it at 275 and 405yds. I think everyone agrees that we are pushing the envelope with 800lb animals, and shooter skill (on top of a superbly accurate system launching high sectional density projectiles that retain their mass) will set you up for good penetration.

Comment

• OLd Man
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2012

As you can see from the picture the bullet did loose some weight, it came back at 89 gr. from a 123 SST factory load. But it was still traveling straight and really I think it was actually more than 20 inches of penetration. When I was informed that I would need to be able to shoot 400 yards for elk I got serious and practiced out to 400 with the 338. When I got done with that I was about broke, then I picked up the Grendel and found that my drop was exactly the same as the 338. That made my life very easy. I wasn't expecting that, but it is reasonable. I really appreciate the help and advice from everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X