Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Game Study

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found it interesting:

terminal ballistics, wound ballistics, cavitation, penetration, penetration mechanics, bullet expansion, retained weight, expanded diameter, one shot stop, street results, lethality, energy transfer, energy dump, hydrostatic shock, stopping power, knockdown power, killing power, optimal game weight, OGW, Taylor knockout formula, TKO, Accubond, Interbond, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Nosler Bullets, Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Accubond Long Range, Swift Bullets, Swift A-Frame, Swift Scirocco, North Fork, Hornady Interlock, Hornady, ELD-X, XTP, Federal Fusion, Speer Bullets, Speer Gold Dot, Speer Hot Cor, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Sierra Bullets, Sierra Game King, Barnes Bullets, Barnes X-Bullet, Triple Shock, TSX, TSX Tipped, Hammer Bullets, bonded core, monolithic solid, hard cast

The conclusions are food for thought, as is the caliber discussion.

Some information is known regarding the weapon used in 444 of the 493 kills. The weapons used are grouped by caliber against the mean distance traveled for all kills (including instantaneous kills).

In general, trends by caliber are weak, as might be expected. However, there are differences that must be considered significant, statistically speaking (if in no other sense). The smallest bore, .243 (6 mm) caliber, accounted for 10.8 % (48/444) of the documented kills, with an average distance traveled of 40 yards. This compares with 31 yards for .277 caliber (84/444, or 18.9 %), 26 yards for .284 (7 mm) caliber (160/444, or 36.0 %), and 33 yards for .308 caliber (116/444, or 26.1 %). Clearly, there is a slight increase in the mean travel distance for the .243 bore.

Surprisingly, there is also a significant (statistically) difference between the .284 caliber and the .277 and .308 calibers, which are essentially the same. I am at a loss to explain this, particularly given the sample size.

Even more striking is the case of the kills involving the .257 caliber, which make up only 8.1 % (36/444) and which have a mean travel distance of a mere 14 yards! Now to a certain extent this can be attributed to the small sample size. But it also clearly reflects some bias of behavior by the shooters or the weapons used in this caliber. Unfortunately, no further information is available on specific cartridges used or cross-correlations between calibers and hit locations.
    Notice that no .264 calibers were part of this data, but that .257 stood out as the most DRT-producing caliber, while .284 had less average travel distance than .277 and .308, and .243 was the worst with a statistically significant average travel distance much higher than the other calibers.

My experience and hypothesis is this:

Weapon recoil and projectile weight, followed by sectional density and trajectory factor largely into the outcome of shot placement and terminal performance.

As we lean to the heavier projectiles, recoil increases, which is proportional to the decrease in how often we train with that weapon, and the increase in anticipation of the recoil. Recoil anticipation + decreased practice = a larger cone of marksmanship error

If the shooters were using a lot of .257 Roberts and .25-06's, those are very low-recoiling, flat-shooting cartridges. They're just fun to shoot when you think about it. A gun that is fun to shoot is easier to be accurate with. On top of that, they have decent weight pills for the .257 bore for medium game in the 100-117gr class, so with common construction, you're getting a potent little cartridge.

What if we could provide lower recoil than the .243 or .257 Roberts, with the projectile weight class of say a .257 and .270, with the ballistic co-efficients of the heavier 7mm pills, that's fun to shoot, with the sectional density and a huge selection of bullets that plow through animals, but bucks the wind way better than a .243?

Yeah, we have that. It's called...

The 6.5 Grendel
  • shotgun_wedding

DRT-producing caliber
    Is that 'dead right there'?

Interesting article, and your conclusions make me think...

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

DRT is indeed Dead Right There

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

O would also add that the.257 is an"odd" caliber and the people that use these probably shoot them more than other might shoot their rifles.
        sigpic

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

That is an excellent point. I suspect raw data like that has a great deal of lurking variables that will confuse the facts. Are people more accurate over a large sample size with smaller calibers? Shrug. I am sure you can think of several other things that might play a factor.

Comment

• 81police
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

perhaps the reference also included the 257 Weatherby Mag, which is one amazing catridge, probably the greatest of all quarter bores. Great observations LRRPF52!
            John 11:25-26

Comment

My grandpa loved the .257 Roberts. Before I even could read, he was telling me about .257 Roberts, what a great cartridge it was, pulling out his micrometer and calipers (he was a Douglas aerospace foreman machinist for the A-4 Skyhawk), and measuring all sorts of cases and bullets, telling me about the diameters, the way he re-barreled his Japanese 6.5 Arisaka rifle and sporterized it in .257 Roberts, how our .270 Winchester was Jack O'Conner's favorite do-all caliber, etc.

He would pass down his older copies of American Rifleman to me, which I basically spent reading and devouring as a child, along with books on aviation. I sure wish I could talk about rifles, reloading, and hunting with my grandpa now. He made me one of my first toy guns out of lumber using his band saw, then filed down the edges, sanded it really well, and I took the idea further at home by using my dad's food storage shelves in the garage for fresh material to make M16's, G3's, AKM's, Colt Commando's, 1911's, etc. after I got my jigsaw. My dad wasn't too happy upon seeing his bowed-out shelves in the garage, with holes the shape of rifles in them.

I guess it shows how influential we can be by sharing this critical American hobby of a free people with our children and the younger generation. Sorry for getting nostalgic, but the .257 discussion triggers memories of grandpa that way with me. I bet he would really enjoy the Grendel.

Comment

The difference between .264 (aka 6.5mm) and .257 is .007 inches. A .257 Grendel using 100gr-115gr bullets may be just a tad better southern game getter then one in .264.

Comment

Working...
                X