129gr ablr report on cow elk from past December.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighDesertDrifter
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2024

129gr ablr report on cow elk from past December.

Short version: excellent round.

First shot was at 220 yards, slight quarter away. Obliterated a lung and there was a visible slap through her when the round hit. She took five steps and laid down to pack the wound. Exit hole seemed enormous, but probably .75 of an inch, possibly larger. Quickly closed distance to 50 yards and 1 round to the base of the neck was the end of it. No photos of the critter. Was getting late and cold and in a hurry to get the meat off the mountain. I know, didn't happen if there isn't a photo. Goes through my mind with every delicious bite of elk carpaccio. ^_-.
    220lbs of meat harvested.
    Age estimate 2-3 years.

Very pleased with the results. Think past 300 yards might be pushing it a bit.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by HighDesertDrifter; 07-06-2024, 08:28 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Ok, well I'm glad to hear it, you don't need to send a picture but send some meat that'll prove it to me !! lol!!! love elk.
    Seriously strange thing for me is at first I thought I'd major in the 100 grainers for my Grr's, but find the 129 ablr and 120 tgk working best for me.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Clint Eastwood
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

I used 123gr Hornady A-Max and SST with success before trying the 129gr LRAB an it has done very well and more destruction on the inside with shorter trails with more blood on the trails from lung shots so I use it in both Grendel's now when hunting. Still have some 100gr Partitions I never loaded up but they are waiting in reserve if called on no doubt on those either.

Comment

• HighDesertDrifter
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2024

grayfox lol! Would be more likely if I had gotten drawn again this year! So far my rig has liked every factory offering I've fed it. Minus the new Hornady 100 grainers. That's just cycling issues though. I think from lower gas. They shoot great. Have an adjustable gas block but don't shoot them enough to make the switch. Will probably just build a different upper for light and fast rounds. Other favorite for target has been 123gr scenars. 120gr ppu/nemo, frontier, american gunner, and black have been fine for plinking.

kmon Yep, think it's going to be my mainstay for the foreseeable future. Past stash 123gr SST are now my backup in case nosler ever drops them or there are supply issues. Have been interested in the 120gr Barnes after LaRue's report on a bull elk a while back. Also still interested in the cavity backs and maker trex for hunting rounds. Lovely to have options.

Comment

• trubulator
          Warrior
          • Aug 2022

HDD, what barrel length did you use? Any Chrono data?

Will be hunting thick stuff for cows where it would be tough to thread a 150 yard shot through the tree trunks in most of it, so thinking about taking a Grendel.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

At those ranges I would not be afraid to use it, just make sure you make a good shot on an elk with the first one. Elk die pretty quickly with that but hit not very well they can go a very long ways.

Thicker timber hunt I would probably carry one that doesn't see much use these days 350 Remington Magnum with 225gr Partitions at 2700fps. The elk I killed with that one would have been just as dead with the Grendel IMO. 200 yard shot broad side onside leg forward put it through rib into heart,

Comment

• HighDesertDrifter
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2024

Trubulator, 20" barrel, no chrono data. Box lists muzzle velocity at 2350. I suspect from a 24" inch pipe and quite a bit closer to sea level than where one finds elk. So with a 20" barrel, I wouldn't be surprised if you're at that speed or faster. Expansion speed is supposed to be 1300. I personally think cows and small bulls are very doable with a grendel within 300. Shot placement is everything. Because of the low expansion speed I have a few buddies that are using this round in 12" and 14" barrels for thick cover.

Comment

Working...
              X