Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5flinger

120 gr Barnes TSX....impressive!

I thought I'd share a recent experience with my fellow forum members. I had the privilege of hunting for axis deer, blackbuck and meat hogs this past week with my Grendel. When all was said and done the Grendel accounted for 4 Axis does, one old Blackbuck ram and one meat hog which weighed approximately 80 lbs. I was shooting the Alexander Arms 120 gr Barnes TSX out of my Alexander Arms GSR with a 20 inch barrel and to say I was very satisfied with the gun and the bullet performance would be an understatement. The gun and the round performed flawlessly. Four of the animals were DRT and the other two traveled no more than 30 yards befoer piling up. The shots ranged from 100 yards to 230 yards. The entrance holes were perfectly clean and the exit holes were all about the size of a nickel. Perhaps the most impressive experience with the bullet came when I shot an axis doe in the neck and upon the report of the impact, two does were laying dead in the Sendero. apparently a second doe slipped in behind the lead doe while I was concentrating on the shot. Neither my hunitng partner nor I saw her slip in. The doe I was aiming for was hit perfectly in the neck and the TSX exited and hit the doe behind the lead doe squarely in the shoulder and traveled throughout the entire chest cavity of the second doe and destroyed the off shoulder before exiting....two does, though and through and DRT. I had some reservations about the TSX prior to the hunt based on all the posts I had read regarding the TSX and the concerns expressed about needing enough velocity, however, these reservations have now been dismissed. I love my Grendel and the TSX.
  • Y85
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

Nice - how long was the double kill shot? Did you get a chance to recover any bullets? If so, pls post pics.

Comment

Wow. Any pics? I have also read recent claims that the 120gr TSX wasn't meant for Grendel velocities, but people have been killing game with them for years and years now, including Mark LaRue's 405yd Elk.

This is the first double-kill I've heard of with the 120gr TSX, but not the first double-kill with a Grendel. Shivesy has made a double-kill with the 123gr AMAX on coyotes:
      Went back last night to that big porker that I shot last Thurs. and spotted 2 yotes munchin down at around 400 yds. away from us. That distance is farther than what I want to shoot plus I really like to stalk for fun and thats what I decided to do. Luck wasn't on my side though and them yotes spotted me right away and bolted

Here is some high-speed slow-motion video of the 120gr TSX from a Grendel:

Comment

• 6.5flinger

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Wow. Any pics?.....
        I'll post some pics of the harvest as soon as can get to my desktop.

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
        Nice - how long was the double kill shot? Did you get a chance to recover any bullets? If so, pls post pics.
        The double kill shot was approximately 200 yards. We caped out both axis and despite the fact that there was no exit wound on the second doe, we could not find the bullet. Our assumption was it was mixed up in some soft tissue and will turn up when the processing is complete. If I find it I'll post it up.

Comment

• denimdeerslayer
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2013

WOW! Very impressive bullet performance! Congrats can't wait to see the pics.

Comment

• 6.5flinger

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Wow. Any pics?.......
            This first doe was approximately 175 yards away. I was holding the cross hairs at the intersection of the neck and the top of her chest. I expected her to be DRT but she managed to go approximately 30 yards before expiring. As you can see from the second picture, the bullet traveled all the way through her chest cavity and exited towards the back of her rib cage.

The blackbuck was approximately 125 yards. He dropped where he was standing to the neck shot. There was no exit wound so I expect to find the bullet and will post pics after the caping is completed.

More pics to follow as soon as I can upload them......
            Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• 6.5flinger

Here's my harvest photo minus the hog.

And some scenery...

Comment

• denimdeerslayer
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2013

Nice place and tasty critters.

Comment

Working...
                X