• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Darrel Holland's comments on bullet performance

I receive Darrel Hollands' newsletter and thought I'd share his comments on bullet performance in large Texas whitetail. They were shooting Creedmoor and 6mm XC. Bottom line, not impressed with A-Max performance but encouraged by SMK performance.

Choosing the RIGHT BULLET.

I was invited by a good friend in South Texas to assist him in thinning deer to meet his buck/doe ratios and genetic profiles. This required removing about 35 deer from the ranch. I decided to take the Creedmoor and test the 140 A-max on South Texas deer. Now to set the record straight, most folks think of Texas deer as 100 lb targets.

Who sez Texas deer are small? We shot several bucks that went well over 200 lbs. With thick necks, long bodies; beautiful specimens to say the least. We shot deer from 125-485 yards with 6mm XCs and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It was a great opportunity to test and compare bullets on these huge deer. When the smoke cleared we learned several things.

1) While the A-max bullets killed deer, the exit wounds and blood trails were erratic. Often times the exit wound was a 30-caliber hole; other times it failed to exit and organ damage was minimal. Out of 11 deer shot we never had a decent blood trail to follow if the deer left the sendero. One particular doe was shot at 220 yards with a perfect lung shot; she left maybe 3 tablespoons of blood over a 150-yard trail and things dried up. We circled for well over an hour in increasingly larger circles and I found another drop of blood. She went about 300 yds total and expired in a mesquite bush in tall grass. WE WERE VERY LUCKY to have found her.

2) The 6mm XC and 107 gr. SMKs produced a far better wound channel and exit wounds were achieved nearly 90% of the time in bucks and does.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

I wonder why he was shooting deer with target bullets, versus some of the many factory loads available...

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I was wondering the same...but I know there are several Grendeliers who hunt with A-Max...so I thought I would post. I never considered hunting with SMK.

I'm pondering a large purchase of the new Nosler 129 grain and ditching the 129 SST for my bolt gun. Much higher BC with the Nosler.
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

I would shoot both at 600yds and see what the bullets say. Swift told me that the BC for the 130gr Scirocco is theoretical, but I still think it's safe to say that it's in the .510+ category. I would also like to know what the 129gr SST really is, because it looks to be at least a .500 G1, but is listed as a .485, since it has a very secant ogive and nice boat tail.

The 129gr NAB-LR has a 1300fps minimum expansion threshold, so that's the appeal with it for shooting distance. I tried to score some of them at SHOT, but they didn't have any for me. Would be great if they did for the testing we have coming up in the next year.

Comment

Working...
        X