Grendel Got to Eat Last Weekend: TX Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel Got to Eat Last Weekend: TX Whitetails

Went to South Texas with a buddy on a whitetail management hunt on his lease this past weekend. He allowed me to shoot 2 deer, and I took the Grendel due to the possibility for long shots. Sunday evening I was finally able to pull the trigger on a couple, and I started out taking the doe at 125 yards with the 129gr SST handloads. I hit her high ribs, and she dropped in her tracks. Dead right there. About two hours later the big-bodied 2 year old spike came out and I shot him at 150 yards double ribcage. He ran about 75 yards with a good blood trail, so I found him quickly. These are the 2nd and 3rd deer I've taken with this rifle, and it's proving to be an effective round with quick kills. Even if they run, it's easy to find them. The setup on this rifle really makes it easy, except the brake requires hearing protection. I wear the Surefire plugs, and they do a great job.

Doe

Spike

Glad to see your feeding your Grendel properly, congratulations on your deer and good shooting.

Obviously the 129 SSTs worked well, how big were the exit holes?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Congrats on a great double-harvest. Is that an 18" barrel?

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

I am always suprised to see how small Texas deer are, when everything else seems so outsized!

Nicely done!

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Nice job= good eats!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            I am always suprised to see how small Texas deer are, when everything else seems so outsized!

Nicely done!
            It isn't just the deer that are small, it is the fish too.

Makes it all the more special when you get to harvest a rare "Big" animal but it has to make one think about the future of the sport.

Nice kills OP.

BB

Comment

Nice shootin tx

Comment

These deer were on the young side. The spike weighed about 140#. My buddy killed a management cull buck the next morning that was over 220#. South TX whitetails get pretty big. 18" Lothar Walther barrel. The exit holes were 1-2" in diameter. Insides were jelly.

Comment

Texas fish in the saltwater are big. You need to do an offshore trip here sometime.

Originally posted by Bennybone View Post
                  It isn't just the deer that are small, it is the fish too.

Makes it all the more special when you get to harvest a rare "Big" animal but it has to make one think about the future of the sport.

Nice kills OP.

BB

Comment

Originally posted by tx4guns View Post
                    Texas fish in the saltwater are big. You need to do an offshore trip here sometime.
                    There are some pretty large freshwater fish too. http://texascryptidhunter.blogspot.c...ses-texas.html

Bob

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

I lived out in West Texas as a kid. Lived in Sweetwater, on a little radar station.

We caught a fair amout of bass and bluegill, and they seemed pretty big to a 6 year old. We had a bunch of rattlesnakes, horned toads, and tarantulas around, too!

Does anyone know if Sweetwater still has the rattlesnake roundup every year?

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Does anyone know if Sweetwater still has the rattlesnake roundup every year?
                        I thought that was closer to Abilene? Last time I drove out to Lubbock they were still advertising it on a billboard.

-mm

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by michaelmew View Post
                          I thought that was closer to Abilene? Last time I drove out to Lubbock they were still advertising it on a billboard.

-mm
                          Sweetwater is 50-60 miles west of Abilene, so I guess it may not count as WEST Texas like, say Odessa or Lubbock, but its west of DFW!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

I have no idea how old you are. Did you know Doyle Brunson?

Comment

Lake falcon only has some of the biggest bass in this part of the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X