• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

Grendel got busy today!

got out this AM, 1st stand was a no show, 2nd stand at the 9+/- minute mark had a yote come in, came in on the opposite side of the creek i was overlooking, he went down stream looking across at the decoy/call , but would not cross the creek, i left the call running, thinking it was headed down to an area to cross the creek and come down wind.
    Wind was blowing in from my 2 o'clock, the creek is at my twelve. kept the call going, at about the 20 minute mark hear brush snapping and look across and see one or two moving upstream on the high bank across the creek, going in and out of the brush, no shot, kept call going, hear brush again and see one sneaking through the brush coming straight to me on the opposite side of the creek, about 75yds, he stepped into the open and I let him have a taste of the 6.5, he spun around stopped then took off into the brush. I called it a good hit, didn't look like he went far. Kept the call going for a couple more minutes then packed up my stuff and went to find it.
    after i cross the creek on logs i found where i hit him, plenty of blood and hair, then hear the yote start moving again, plenty of blood left an easy trail to follow, then the blood trail disappeared into a hole in the side of the creek hill, look in and can see the tail about 5' in, couldn't find anything to try to snag it, so went home and got a shovel and ax (lots of trees in this hill side, get back cant see tail anymore, dug for an hour and cut roots, well this must be a duplex because it kept going into the hill and was just too much to dig and cut, called it a day, so a loss, too thick to get a backhoe into as well.
    >
    Then this evening scored on a whitetail about 75yds, late doe season here, for her I was using one of sneakyones 105gr INterbonds, the bullet performed good, I will get more specific info later when we process the deer, looks like I hit it just behind the diaphragm, enough blood to track her the 100yds or so she went, she really didn't act like she had been hit, just took off running, like i said bad hit on my part, but we got her. like I said more data later after the autopsy. : )

Thanks for sharing the story! It sounds like your a very dedicated hunter to dig for an hour after a coyote, that's motivating to hear!

Congrats on the whitetail too!

Will be looking forward to an update on the impact.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

My brother-in-law told me of a coyote den they found. Those things can be deep! Found a ton of deer fawn bones in it.

John
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Tools must really want a pelt , or what? Glad to hear you got a deer. Post mortem pics??

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

coming when we process, it was dark and then some by the time we tracked and recovered it

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
            Warrior
            • May 2011

only two pics that came out worth a darn, this is the exit wound side, you cant see it because of the clott blood but exit hole was about 1/2" or better, hit was just behind the diaphram, broadside. about 75yds, broke ribs going in, ruined everything behind the diaphram.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Hmmmm, did that deer run far? More Details dude !! Best take upon it, as compared to a diff bullet? Looks to be an awesome version of a less lead left behind bullet- glad you enjoy them. nice shooting!
              Last edited by sneaky one; 01-12-2013, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                Warrior
                • May 2011

Approx 75yds, broadside, hit just behind diaphragm, tore everything inside up pretty good, no damage to lungs, heart. Deer ran about 100yds with light blood, only due to shot placement. The blood amount on the animal between the hide and body was impressive, exit hole was probably 1/2" or more. Busted a rib on the way in.
                in regards to other bullets, cant speak much, for the grendel, this is only the second deer shot with the grendel, 1st one was with a barnes 100ttsx, and it was a spine shot, I like using this style of bullet due to less excessive meat damage. I have shot 2 with a 30-06 one was with a soft point Winchester off the shelf bullet, and it tore up alot, next one I shot was with a 165 SST and was similar to this one in performance. that deer had a better hit though. I need more experimentation with it ; )

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

With a reasonabley small exit hole (what is it that seems to be in the exit hole as it looks like it might be gut content) and much internal damage this was a great result - but how much edible was lost to the bruising. What is the second bruising where the front leg has been taken off the shoulder. How was the deer standing when you shot her and what was the bullet path.
                  Not being disrespectful - just interestedly enquiring.
                  Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM.
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Looks to be the dreaded odd shot placement-yet it worked out=in the freezer.
                    Tools & I have worked on this bullet project last year-until we finally got to very decent hunt capable units-in his BHW 20" bbl.-it was a small feat. He had posted all over the internet, help! He wanted to use the heavies-not possible in his 1-9 bbl.= 3 grooves did not provide enuff grab to stabilize the heavies. He finally agreed to use my 105 Interbonds,- after a few other wts. were traded-back and forth we went, good fun BTW! I knew they would work out well for him.
                    Meat in the freezer is -great enuff accuracy inside 100yds.
                    BC's don't mean much close in. Hanka shoots shotgun slugs @ deer-it's all good.
                    Von., the bullet, albeit an off shot--dumped the energy inside-The I bond is almost--as tuff as the Gmx, so after energy dump-the bullet still is intact-less lead loss-it plows thru as it's same sized as expanded=1.5-2.0 times orig. diam.- more deeper pen. than std. bullets.
                    Retained Wt. matters.-Make sense to all?
                    I designed it to be explosive after the first 1.5- 2" of penetration--then erupt like a volcano!-to take out the organs---in a perfect shot scenario-who has that always-? Then it tumbles it's way -all the way thru said dead deer-it leaves a smaller exit hole than many leadies do-the inside is red soup tho-enjoy the tomato products today-hey.
                    I ended up shooting a deer in it's open mouth-sad but true= take the shot-if you are well practiced-trained.= Meat in the freezer. We are hunters-terminators-we do as needed.LOL
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 01-12-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                      Warrior
                      • May 2011

really didn't loose much in terms of meat., I was pleasantly suprised, I think the bulk of that was "internal bleeding" though there was some "gut" material in the out hole : ) I am guessing on the size of the exit wound I'm sure it was close to what I got with H2O testing. (meaning i didn't measure the exit hole, just guessed), the blood trail was not weak, but not strong either, and she really didnt go far considering, it was through a swamp area which made tracking a bit on the difficult side.
                      the deer was basically broadside with maybe a slight quartering away angle, bullet path was basically straight through, I was slightly down hill so the path was slightly uphill, but very small amount of it.
                      I am very pleased with the performance of sneakys bullets and will not hesitate to use them in the future, I just need to get to be a better shot : )
                      I have taken one deer and 1 coyote with this load now, the coyote never even twitched, just flat out dropped., this deer, ran but dropped and was recovered.

Comment

Working...
                      X