***Wildgame Innovations***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Wildgame Innovations***

Just a warning to all of you out there, it appears Wildgame innovations cameras are designed to fail shortly after the warranty expires. I can't speak for all models (I have an IR-4) but just wanted everyone in on what I have found. I used my camera with good sucess for about two seasons, at the end of last season (2nd season in use) I put new batteries in it which were dead the next day, no pictures were taken.

Since the camera is out of warranty I decided to take it apart, when I did I found an obvious issue with the wiring, where the insulation was gone, which I repaired. Put new batteries in it and the programming screen will come on but it will not take a picture even though the sensor light comes on when you move in front of it. Did some more looking and found another "secret" battery compartment on the back which had a shrink wrapped "cell" of LR44 (three) which had corroded. Cleaned the connections and replaced the batteries and it still doesn't work. So not sure what to do next other that throw it in the trash.

(here comes the interesting part)

My dad who purchased the camera for me as a Christmas present also bought one for himself. I told him what I found on the camera, so he also took his apart and found that the "secret" cell of batteries (in his case 3.6v) was soldered in on the inside of the camera (same model as mine, purchased at the same time). I thought the whole point of batteries were to be replaced when the run out, so why would the be soldered in?

Of the 5-7 Wildgame cameras we have only one (I think) is still working after 2 seasons of use. Dont get me wrong there are alot of cameras that don't work well (My dad has been through Bushnell, Wildgame, and Predator) its just the fact it appears Wildgame intended for the camera to die with the "secret" batteries.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to let everyone know.

By the way I am going to purchase a new camera soon and would be happy to hear opinions on what or what not to buy.

Thanks,

D

I went through the same deal with Cuddyback Trial camera's. I'm not saying they were designed to fail but after a couple deerhunting seasons they would die. I had four of them, the first one was a film camera. When I called Cuddyback, it's was always the same story. "It's not covered under warranty anymore but we can sell you the latest updated model for cost." I gave up on them.

Comment

Good to know, I kinda wondering if there is a good camera on the market that will last. Its like cars, they dont build them to last so they can sell the new model.

Comment

My brother and I have a couple of the Remington-branded cameras (which I think are WGI) going into a third year. They're only run ~3 months of the year and being in central Texas might not be as subject to cold and moisture problems as others. Other than that, I guess they're OK; I don't have a lot of practical experience with the different brands.

At my home in south Texas, I set up a feeder/camera this year. This time, I got a Spypoint BF-7 after doing research. I think I have a problem with the SD card that came with it (and replaced it 10/11/12). The enclosed SD card was a bonus from the retailer; it's 8GB and although I'm not aware of any compatibility issues, this one is 4GB. I'd read some Primo's cameras couldn't handle more than a 2GB card, and I suspect those are the past-year models being sold pretty inexpensively @ Natchez SS. That said, the card showed some bad sectors with the VID clips and the next time I set the camera to PIC and it only captured a three-hour period in just one day. So, fresh batteries, new SD card and taking pictures rather than video clips will give me a little more to go on.

I noticed that Trail Cam Pro (where I ordered from) has dessicant packs, but I'm not sure if they'll work in the BF-7 enclosure (or others) due to space considerations.

Comment

Nothing really secret about the LR44 Batteries.. They are there to retain your setting for the Camera if The Main pack dies..
          Not knocking your thread or thoughts.. I too am tired of getting a year or 2 from something costing so much and lasting so little..

I made the mistake of purchasing a Moultrie easy fill tripod feeder that lasted a whole 90 days before the motor died .. I got nowhere with that one .. Try going to their website and ordering Parts .. that was funny and not in a good way

Comment

Let me guess....these cameras are made in China?

If I were running the show, every shipping company that transported goods from China to the US would have import duties so insanely heavy, they wouldn't be able to afford it. They might run into problems with underwater Titanium sharks in the several hundred ton class, as well...

Comment

^Spypoint cameras are assembled in Canada; they may make some stuff like the enclosure, but the electronics are imported. They do the engineering themselves rather than rebranding a commodity camera.

Comment

• donthiturhead

I wouldn't buy anything Wildgame, it's all crap. Add Bushnell to the crap camera heap too.The best ones I've owned are the Primos 46. Picked up a couple at Wally World last year for $99 each and could kick myself now for not buying more. Fantastic battery life and work well. I hear others speak well of them too.

Comment

I'll second the Primos Truth 35 and 46 cameras.. Great battery life and good Pics
                  easy to use and setup

not so much for the Primos DPS

Comment

Working...
                  X