123gr Lapua Scenar performance on game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

123gr Lapua Scenar performance on game ?

Anyone tried of have knowledge of the 123gr Laupa Scenar as a hunting bullet on medium game?

I'm aware of general recommendations that match bullets are not recommended for this application, and virtually any bullet might do the job in ideal circumstances, but I've noticed elsewhere on the 'net some favorable reports regarding Scenars in other calibers being used with consistent success.

Any gel tests conducted with this particular bullet?

Thanks
    Drifter

It is a good bullet but to tell the truth, I cannot get over the price.

I think I have 1000 cases left from shooting it but unless I had to shoot to max range, I would just select the 123AMAX.

It certainly does not lack in it's ability to kill game.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      Anyone tried of have knowledge of the 123gr Laupa Scenar as a hunting bullet on medium game?

I'm aware of general recommendations that match bullets are not recommended for this application, and virtually any bullet might do the job in ideal circumstances, but I've noticed elsewhere on the 'net some favorable reports regarding Scenars in other calibers being used with consistent success.

Any gel tests conducted with this particular bullet?

Thanks
      Drifter:

I think with this particular Match King, its effectiveness will be based on the specific game animal and your engagement range. From what I gather, most of these quasi secant ogive bullets like the 123 Match King tend to yaw more than tangent ogive bullets such as the 120 Match King which is something that some consider desirable in terms of terminal effects but only when considering a match grade bullet whose design was never intended towards lethality. If you used a commercial controlled expansion hunting bullet, you would want the bullet to stay tip forward in order for it to do what its designers intended.

You can debate this for ever but I figure that if you want to hunt game animals, your very best bet is to use a bullet designed for its terminal effects on that specific game. You don't have to spend a dollar a bullet on Barns XYZ what ever gimmick. A good old Game King or Remington Soft Point in 120 grain weight will cost less than the custom jobs or a Match King and will probably do as good a job as the premium hunting design bullets and a much better job than a Match King.

LR1955

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, I'm not referring to the SMK, which reportedly is inconsistent on game and gel tests in other calibers.

I get the impression that the Lapua Scenar behaves differently, which is why I'm seeking additional information.

Thanks again.

ETA: warped- You mentioned the Amax, which is another "match" bullet that gets favorable reviews regarding its performance on game. But I've been unable to find any 123gr to load, as they seem to be in short supply.
        Last edited by Drifter; 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM.
        Drifter

Comment

Those 120 grain offerings LR1955 mentioned are going to be hard to beat! You can choose between conventional cup and core the the Hornaday and others and early versions of the bonded bullet (Speer HotCor).

Cheers!

Comment

Sierra does not make a 120 gr. Game King. They do offer a 120 gr. ProHunter which is a flat base. The 120 gr. Remington is nothing more than a 120 gr. Nosler B.T. In the past I have done some crude penetration tests with the 123 Secnar and I got inconsistent results with it. But how wet paper and and phone books compare to flesh and bone of medium game I have no idea. They are a good accurate bullet.

6.5 Man

Comment

The SMK bullets work well with correct shot placement, which is the benefit of accuracy capable with the 123 SMK. The AMAX is a quality round. My local dealer has 5 or 600 rounds of new AMAX in stock. If you can't find some, shoot me a PM. They probably would ship it to you.

Comment

The ONLY bullet the OP is seeking information on is the 123 grain Scenar made by Lapua. We could be more helpful to the OP if we stayed on his original topic (Lapua 123 grain Scenar) rather than straying into discussions about other bullets.

Comment

Isn't there someone over on the old sight (just before it went tits up) that was shooting deer with either 120 grain SMK's or 123 grain Lapua Scenars??? From what I've heard, there really isn't much differnce in between them.

Comment

It aint what you shoot'em with; it's about how good you shoot'em.

Comment

I just hesitate using any match bullet on a big game animal. Too many variables come into play for a clean kill. They would be fine if all the big critters stood broadside for you but those that have hunted big game a lot know that's not usually the case. I want something to penetrate and keep on going if possible, break shoulders etc etc. Now you might try the Berger VLD Hunting 130gr but they might have to be loaded too long to fit your mag and still drive tacks.

Comment

i have used the 123gr scenars in the past to hunt wild hogs, but only because i had no other choice as it was the only round i had at the time. IMHO, the bullet isn't really designed w/ hunting in mind but rather for target use. having said that, the bullet will kill game if your shot placement is good. the hogs i have shot were not huge, probably about 100lbs, and were almost always broadside shots. the bullets always passed thru and were not recovered. internal damage was nothing to brag about, no explsions or such to internal organs.

Comment

Working...
                        X