• Show
Clear All

• Boar succumbs to Grendel

This guy didn't know what hit him!
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Oinksellent!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

congrats!
      what bullet/powder did you use?
      what carnage did it cause inside?
      Looks like its time to fire up the smoker!
      nice job!
      -mike

Comment

That's a big pig! Scaled weight...or left for the buzzards?

Comment

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
          congrats!
          what bullet/powder did you use?
          what carnage did it cause inside?
          Looks like its time to fire up the smoker!
          nice job!
          -mike
          Factory hornady amax 123g
          I didn't mess with it... Boars are nasty to me (unless they have been cut) but I will clean sows all day. His purpose now is so good coyote chum.

Comment

well, that shows you how much I know about wild hogs- haven't seen many in Iowa (yet) but that's a good thing, right?
            I bet they would taste real good if they ate mostly pecans!
            I make it down to the Waco area a few times per year for work- I keep telling myself I will find a way to get out and blast my first
            wild hog while I'm down there- hasn't happened so far! Too much work/ not enough fun!
            Keep blastin 'em!! And the coyotes, too.
            -mike

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Mmmmmm, bacon!

Good to see the 123 Amaxes are putting the pigs down hard. I'm developing loads for this purpose myself.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

We have killed alot of boars here in Louisiana. The boars are ok you just dont want to mess with the ones over about 100 to 160 lbs. We killed a 400 lb one and the meat was just so tough even going through the grinder it was hell. Alot of times if we have to much we process the ones we shoot and donate it to orphanages and shelters. There is always a hungry mouth out there. Other than the tenderloin we grind the rest into sausage. It also mixes good with deer meat instead of using fat from the grocery store you just mix it with your deer for the fat thats in it and it turns out great.

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                  Factory hornady amax 123g
                  I didn't mess with it... Boars are nasty to me (unless they have been cut) but I will clean sows all day. His purpose now is so good coyote chum.
                  This is what has worked for me every single time I hunt hogs. I take the larger ones in the pack which are more often the boars. I get him down and while they are still flopping around on the turf I approach with .45 in hand hydroshock loaded and ready to put one in the dome if needed!! If he is already dead (most of the time this is the case) I pull out my knife and take those NUTS off ASAP!!!! Time from bullet pop to body drop is under 2 min!! I can assure you brother if you take his balls off asap that meat will be much better!! I also start that field dressing within 20mis depending on location and size of the hog. Got a 300 plus pound beast back in May and it took some time and needed help to get him loaded on the ATV however before he got loaded he was minus his manhood or pighood however you want to look at it.

A320PYLT

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                    We have killed alot of boars here in Louisiana. The boars are ok you just dont want to mess with the ones over about 100 to 160 lbs. We killed a 400 lb one and the meat was just so tough even going through the grinder it was hell. Alot of times if we have to much we process the ones we shoot and donate it to orphanages and shelters. There is always a hungry mouth out there. Other than the tenderloin we grind the rest into sausage. It also mixes good with deer meat instead of using fat from the grocery store you just mix it with your deer for the fat thats in it and it turns out great.
                    The secret to getting great tasting pork out of the big ones is two fold. Phase one, I soak in buttermilk over night 24 hrs min!!! Next I blot the butter milk off DO NOT RINSE IT OFF!! Use a paper towel and just blot it off. Phase two the seasoning, Pepper, season salt, garlic powder and some onion, Then I get some Italian salad dressing and cover the entire cut (submerge). Let that sit a couple hours and fire up the grill. Cook ON INDIRECT HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The time will very based on the cut being cooked. When its done you are not! Take the cut and wrap in foil and place in the oven on about 200 degrees for an hour. I wrap and also put in a turkey roaster pan. Results every time are tender juicy 300 pound plus BOAR cut.

A320PYLT

Comment

I cant tell where you hit him. It almost looks like you grazed his back and hit his spine, but it also looks like you got him behind the ear?

Comment

I honestly can't remember where I hit him but it wasn't in the spine. I had rolled him I've to see the exit wound and I moved him some. I know he was drt...

Comment

Working...
                        X