I could do the math but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could do the math but...

I could do the math but... does anyone just know? I am considering going to Namiba to hunt plains game. I will probably be using a 338 06AI but am considering taking a Grendel (in 18" bolt action) for my teenage daughter. She is deadly out to 600 yards with the thing but the government has rules as to power for even plains game. Will the Gremdel meet criteria with 139gr (probably Hornady Spire Points)bulets? And what is the advantage of Safari Club International anyway? Thanks. Oh.... and if anyone knows about tours there so my wife can keep herself buisy and let us hunt it woud be appreciated..... And how anyone done any fishing there? thanks

make that 129 gr spire points

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

stokesrj is probably the best resource for this, hes made trips over there, and I know he's hunted plains game. Hopefully he'll see this.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Read this thread, I think it will answer your questions.
        Strategi terbaik untuk mengatasi tantangan dalam game tertentu. Temukan cara mengalahkan lawan dan meraih kemenangan dengan panduan kami

Unless she will be shooting one these........."Class 1 here as the Min Caliber for the following is, .22 Hornet, .223, .243; Suni, Dik-Dik, Blue Duiker, Rabbits, Game birds, Gazelle, Minor antelope, Reedbuck, Lesser Kudu".

I don't think the Grendel will fly in Africa. It sounds like a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would not be accepted as powerful enough even though it would be for most animals with the 160gr RN.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
            I could do the math but... does anyone just know? I am considering going to Namiba to hunt plains game. I will probably be using a 338 06AI but am considering taking a Grendel (in 18" bolt action) for my teenage daughter. She is deadly out to 600 yards with the thing but the government has rules as to power for even plains game. Will the Gremdel meet criteria with 139gr (probably Hornady Spire Points)bulets? And what is the advantage of Safari Club International anyway? Thanks. Oh.... and if anyone knows about tours there so my wife can keep herself buisy and let us hunt it woud be appreciated..... And how anyone done any fishing there? thanks
            I've hunted South Africa several times but can't advise about Namibia. If you don't have your heart set irreversibly on Namibia, I would suggest hunting with my good friend Dave Erdman, who lives near you and owns Florida Natural Flavors orange juice company. He runs a first class operation, with greater numbers and quality of plains game than can be found in Namibia from what I read.

In South Africa there is no minimum caliber required for plains game, only that the PH has to send you a letter inviting you to bring the caliber rifle you wish to hunt with. For dangerous game the minimum caliber is 9.3x62.

My youngest son took his 6.5X55 with us on one hunt and it killed everything very cleanly. In fact on most shots it kicked up dirt on the other side of the animal with seemingly as much authority as it would if not going through an animal. I'm sure the PH there Tienne Bramburger would let you bring a 6.5 Grendel if I were to explain what it was to him.

I mostly bow hunt and have taken many animals that make the Roland Ward Record books on their place in the Limpopo Valley. It is very near Kruger National park in the northernmost corner of South Africa where the borders are common with Zimbabwe and Mozambique. There are very good kudu and nyala, but there are also good waterbuck, steinbok, impala, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, and so on, the only plains game I would say go elsewhere for is the gemsbok there are very few that will make book. They also have a place further south in the Freestate, if you want all the colors of springbok and lesser kudu.

My best friend is headed over in July, and I wouldn't send him if I didn't think it was the best hunting available. He is taking his wife as well. The accommodations are four star, food is fabulous, your laundry done each day while your out hunting and folded neatly on the foot of your bed, and there is bush TV each evening (cocktails around the fire pit).

Dave is over there now and will be until he meets us in Montana this October for the archery deer season. But I could reach him if your interested.
            Here are a few pics to get you fired up.

Bob

Comment

You da man Bob! Holy cow! Beautiful creatures really.

Is it the challenge of stalking up with the bow that really makes you lean to that tool over the rifle? I'd love to see video of that monster kudu kill.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                You da man Bob! Holy cow! Beautiful creatures really.

Is it the challenge of stalking up with the bow that really makes you lean to that tool over the rifle? I'd love to see video of that monster kudu kill.
                +1 He always blows me away with some of the very cool stuff he has accomplished!
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                X