Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MedicMan218

Is .264LBC Really THAT Bad?

I was in the process of a precision 5.56 build when I found out I won an aoudad hunt.
    Now I'm changing directions.
    I really like the 6.8 but I still really want a Grendel too!
    It's going to be used mostly for pig and coyote thumping out to no more than probably 450 yards.
    I know I've seen some people say to go with a true Grend over a .264LBC.
    Problem is the Grendels aren't widely available whereas the .264s are.
    The one I'm looking at has a*.297 neck 1.5 degree throat angle for better accuracy and to prevent splitting the case necks.**Barrel is a*SPR contour, mid gas,**6R button *rifling.

Why would this not be a viable option as opposed to a true SAAMI Grendel?

I have and hunt with both. The pratical difference to me is like the difference between a 5.56 and a .223. The LBC seems to be not as accurate with bullets >129 grains but is still a <1 inch shooter. The LBC works best in the 120gr range with hunting bullets-but 120gr is the "sweet spot" with the 6.5x39 family of hunting bullets anyway. If you cant get a real Grendel the LBC should be fine.

Comment

It is viable, I have one along with a few Grendels, but if I were buying one now I would go with the 6.5 Grendel. I have quite a few wildcats or non standard chambers and am willing to pander to them. But why would I want to when I can get a Grendel?
      Also don't believe the 1.5 degree throat for better accuracy my most accurate barrel has a Grendel chamber with .300" throat and I've never had a split neck with up to 18 loadings per case. Couldn't read the caliber stamp any longer, but no split cases, ever.
      Bob

Comment

• MedicMan218

Guess I'll just go with the 6.8 for now and wait until I can get a true Grendel from Satern.

Comment

probably a good choice. have you talked to kim at satern to find out the lead time? probably nov. by now

Comment

I guess I need to call Saturn, Nov. will come eventually.

I have an 18 inch 264 LBC from ARP(Shoots GOOD), but I'd like a 22 inch G with fluting to reduce weight(hunting rifle). Lots of guys here like Saturn, that's a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Brag View Post
              I guess I need to call Saturn, Nov. will come eventually.

I have an 18 inch 264 LBC from ARP(Shoots GOOD), but I'd like a 22 inch G with fluting to reduce weight(hunting rifle). Lots of guys here like Saturn, that's a good sign.
              There are several that have them on this forum, txgunner speaks very highly of his, as does everyone else that I remember.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                Warrior
                • May 2011

i love my .264lbc, seems to like 100gr or less pills, but will still put 123gr amaxes in about 1", I think it really depends more on your twist rate more than anything else.

Comment

• RangerRick

HI MM,

Give Bob at Templar Custom a call. He may be able to get you a barrel quicker. He's been making his lately with Bartlein barrel blanks.

(877) 878-2334
                  bobjr@templarconsultingllc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X