Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SanAntoneGrendel

Barrell Question

I'm sure this has been answered several times over, but I can't seem to find it. I am going to be building a new AR in 6.5 for deer hunting. My question is what barrel length should I go with? I want the gun to be nice and light for walk hunting and stalking, and I want it to be effective out to about 500 yards. I would prefer to use a 16-18" barrel, but am unsure if that will be enough barrel, any advice would be appreciated.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Howdy & welcome!

18" fluted Satern or similar would fit that bill to a T. There are many members here that hunt successfully with 16-18" barrels.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Welcome. If you're 6ft or taller, go with an 18" or 20", lighter profile. 500 yards is pushing it as far as terminal energy and minimum expansion threshold for most hunting bullets.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

18" for a walkabout Grendel rifle.
        Drifter

Comment

I have an 18" that is lighter than my 16" because I used a lightweight handguard, etc. and I think it's perfect for stalk hunting.

Comment

• hunter_usmc

IF you hand load a 16in will be fine and quicker to bring to point, just a little quicker but still quicker the velocity difference between a 16 and 18 inch barrel is so small due to the small case volume and low pressures of the Grendel. But in the end it comes down to what you want and are happy with! You don't want one of these (It costed allot so I am going to like it period)

Comment

Definitely the 18" barrel. I replaced my 16" barrel with a double fluted 18" barrel and the 18" barrel is only 1.5oz more weight.

Comment

• sgtsaunders

i built my grendel with a 20" fluted saturn barrel but to save weight i purchased a New Frontier Armory polymer lower (which i love!! it works flawlessly), and a MI Gen 2 SS free float handguard..those two items alone took almost a pound off of what it used to be with a standard lower and a DD lite rail. with a 6.5-25x50 scope and larue spr mount the total weight is about 7.3 lbs, just barely more than my 30-06 wood stock savage with scope on it...i thought i was going to heavy with a 20" inch rather than an 18" but i can spot and stalk all day with it and my 5'2" girlfriend can use it even...18" will work just fine and 20" inch doesnt give a hole lot more velocity and all but hey, i got it and managed to built a light enough rifle to use it...

Comment

The 18" barrel is a pretty good compromise for a lot of folks who want convenience of handling and good reach.

Go to this thread to get an idea of muzzle velocity changes for barrel length: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...h-and-Velocity

The rationale is that most shots taken at big game are less than about 250-275 yards. In those ranges, you won't be able to tell the difference in drop between a 18" and 24" barrel when compared to the canonical 10" vital zone. At longer ranges, one is likely to be using range finders and mil-dot, other complex reticle, or tactical turrets. Again, no real difference in convenience factor.

Going to longer barrel lengths makes sense when one is shooting serious long-range competition at ranges of 500 yards and greater. Interestingly, the differentiator at these longer ranges is more wind drift than drop.

Comment

Working...
                  X