Nosler BT ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosler BT ???

Has anyone used 100gr Nosler BT for Deer or Antelope ?

Has anyone shot the Barnes 127gr LRX ???

Comment

A while a ago I took a kid hunting with the 100gr NBT. He shot a 125 lb doe at 60 yards. Chest shot. Entrence wound, explosive fragmentation in lungs. No exit. No complaints

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I shot some water filled milk jugs from 50 yards from a 16" barrel to check Nosler BT performance. A neighbor had a beaver problem and I thought I'd test the rounds. I shot the Nosler 100 grain BT bullet and the 120 grain BT. The 100 grain bullet penetrated into 4th jug and the bullet and jacket separated with the core weighing about 50 grains IIRC. I was surprised how well the bullet held together thinking it was more of a varmint bullet. I also shot the 120 grain hunting ballistic tip which plowed through 5 one gallon jugs and a was stopped by a backing board. If I remember correctly the bullet and jacket were still intact but had a good mushroom and almost penetrated the 2 x 4 board.

My opinion the 120 grain would be OK for deer, antelope and hogs. A poster on here has taken a couple of antelope with the 120 grain BT and he likes the performance. I prefer the 100 grain Nosler BT for varmints, coyotes, ground hogs and the like.

Just my 2 cents.

I did buy some 100 grain Barnes TTSX which I think would be better than the 100 grain BT for Deer or other medium game.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I haven't shot any 100gr. Nosler BTs, but the 120 BTs work great on Whitetail. They poleaxe every thing I shoot with them. Very accurate bullet as well.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I shot a 100-110 lb. hill country doe last season with a 100 NBT. High shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks. The bullet hit ribs on both sides and I found on small exit hold and fragments just under the hide on the exit side. I know New Mexico deer are generally bigger so you may consider the 120.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• donthiturhead

I've taken several FL deer with them but the 120 gr NBT is a better choice IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X