Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bertrunner

looking for a good coyote bullet that wont destroy the pelt

im looking for a good coyote bullet that wont destroy the pelt. I am thinking of going with the 107gr SMK. does anyone know who if these will be any better than the 123gr A Max or should i try something lighter

Can't help with the SMK's or A Max. I've only shot Coyotes with Nosler 100 and 120 Ballistic Tips. Neither one is what I would call "fur friendly"

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I've had pretty good results w/ 55 hornady PSPs on fox and bobcat from a .223. Knocks them DRT and doesn't put too big of a hole in them. I know of one old timer trapper/ taxidermist that only uses FMJs on fur-bearers though. He would rather track them a little than blow a hole in the pelt.
      Last edited by txgunner00; 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• terrywick4

I think the SMK is a hollow point, not good on pelts.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Solids make little holes in and out.

Varmint bullets should do the job well, like the VMax.

I'm not a pelt hunter, but I do know not to try the 100 Barnes, I shot one with it, and it looked like someone had unzipped him on the back side!

Comment

I've shot lots of animals through and through with TSX's and TTSX's, and have never destroyed a pelt with one.

Comment

• vanguard138

Fanofflyn, not having any experience with ether the TSX or TTSX what is the basic difference between the two?

Comment

Ahh...140gr FMJ. In and out.

Comment

• donthiturhead

I've used the 120 gr Remington Core Lokt PSP, only because that is what I had in the gun for deer. Pass through with little pelt damage and they are relatively cheap.

Comment

TSX is the older design. It has a small hollowpoint similar to the size of a Sierra target bullet. Athough I never had evidence of poor opening, there were some people who said there were occasions that they failed to open. the TTSX has a much larger hollowpoint, and is filled with a polymer tip to keep it more aerodynamic. Within the recommended velocity ranges, the bullet opens up in the first inch of tissue, and then carries it's weight throughout the penetration. The edges of the copper may be more cutting, and they don't cause much more than a small hole when exiting. In my experience, it's not much different from the entry. I have recovered the polymer tip from the entry hide indicating that it does come off instantly, and I have lots of bullets showing good expansion, but I don't recover as many as I do with other bullets because most of them penetrate the animal. BC of the TTSX is better, and except for the larger calibers, .375 to .510 in the rifles, are my preferred choice of bullet.

Comment

• bertrunner

Well I broke down and ordered the 107gr SMK ill see how these work out. Thanks for the blemish bullet link I will be getting some of those when they notify me.

Comment

• vanguard138

Anyone ever try Hornady 100 gr Spire Point?

Comment

• vanguard138

I have some Siera Varminter 100 gr hollow point but after reading this thread I am assuming (hate to do that) that they would tear em up.

Comment

• bertrunner

U can't assume anything when I comes to a bullet u just have to get out there and she how she does

Comment

• vanguard138

Thanks fanofflyn.

Comment

Working...
                              X