• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

More Remington Core-Lokt Ballistic Analysis on Hogs

Since the last video, I have shot 3 more hogs with the ammo Dinny arranged for me to get from Druid Hill Armory. Two of the hogs were recovered, the lost hog managing to get off property due to a poor shot. This video like the last one has some light necropsy analysis of the Core-Lokt performance and then some basic shot analysis as well.

So far, I can't see anything wrong with the Core-Lokt bullets in terms of what they are doing to the hogs, not unless you want the bullet to remain in the animal you are shooting. All have overpenetrated, even going through heavy bone.

I can't hot link the video because it is age-restricted, so here is the link.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Yeah, that was with the SST 123 gr. When it comes to shooting heads, all bets are off when it comes to what the bullet will do. Sometimes they fail to go all the way through, but not always, even with smaller hogs. Or, with hitting enough bone, the bullet fragments heavily and the hog behind it gets peppered, but not truly shot, which I suspect might have happened.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Great video , thanks for sharing .

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Thanks DNS, every situation is unique and bullets can do unpredictable things.

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Now I'm intrigued at how the Corelokt would do in a similar situation where two hogs are aligned. Time will tell... I know a secret, lol

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Thanks DNS, every situation is unique and bullets can do unpredictable things.
              Agreed. What I try to find by getting a larger sample is to find how they 'tend to perform' commonly.

Comment

• RobertFL
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Years ago I shot factory 165 grain 30-06 Core Lokts and my wife used 100 grain in 243 bolt rifles. With the 30-06 most bullets that failed to pass thru were found just under the skin, really looking good and mushroomed. I would say that 80% did not pass thru.. My wife shot a few deer with her 243 and all passed thru doing a lot of internal damage. I have only shot 10 hogs with my 243 and was happy with the 100 grain Core Lokts, all shots passed thru so I never recovered a bullet. For some reason the 06 kept most CLs inside the deer while the 243 blew thru them...Glad to see you are trying them out in 6.5 Grendel. I enjoy your videos.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

A big sow taken with Rem Core-Lokt 120 plus two more hogs. Nothing like having a way to tell when you miss...

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

DNS,
                    to me it appears that the Core-lokts are expanding, creating a good deal of tissue damage internally, and holding together well enough to fully penetrate these hogs and exit.
                    thank you for the necropsies and analysis. it appears to me that the plain jane common ordinary Remington Core-lokt is a pretty dependable performer on game. well, at least on hogs. if they're expanding and exiting on hogs, the 120gr. Core-Lokt should work on deer pretty well also, most likely getting more than adequate penetration to reach the vitals from various angles.
                    anything in your analysis and observations that might suggest to the contrary?
                    thanks,
                    -tdbru

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

No, I don't think so. As softpoints go, this is likely to be one of my favorite, only they are nearly impossible to find.

Comment

• sundowner
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2017

Another great video , thanks for sharing .

Comment

• xlcc
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2016

Pretty good shootin'.Thanks for carving up those hogs to show the damage.
                          I would certainly like to try these bullets but can't seem to find them for sale in Canada.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

A bit of a longer video. I have time stamps noted in the video early on for when the shooting happens for those that want to skip ahead. I had another incident of cattle chasing my hogs away. I also ended up spending a good amount of time watching a hog dig a deep hole on the neighbor's property before coming over to the property I was hunting where I could shoot it.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Here is the analysis of the shooting and basic bullet performance. There are no necropsies, so the video is not age-restricted...

Comment

Working...
                              X