• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

No Buck for the Grendel this year.

It is because I filled both my buck tags during the muzzle loading season. I have been deer hunting 50 years this season and it just goes to show you that an old dog can learn a new trick. I used a special sent cover that my cousin gave me and I learned just the right doe in estrus bleat sequence of call and both worked perfectly. Both bucks circled me trying to wind me and one came to 20 yards and the other 45 yards directly down wind from me with no alarm looking for that hot doe and all they got was hot lead. I have an old Knight T-Bolt Magnum muzzle loader that I found a conversion kit for 209 priming to replace the musket cap system. I had not used it in years until last year when my hunting situation changed and now I am just hunting around home and needed the muzzle loader again. I killed a doe with it last year. Found that 80 grs by volume FFG Hodgdon 777 with a high pressure black sabot and a 45 cal. 250 gr Hornady XTP pistol bullet is really accurate and VERY DEADLY. The three deer I have shot with it dropped in their tracks. I started hearing both bucks looking for the hot doe about 10 minutes after making the last call. The first buck this year was just for meat and really needed to be taken. He was 2 1/2 years old but only had an 8 inch long beam on the left and 10 inch on the right that tried to fork. He cam in down wind of me and walked to 20 yards and turned broad side. Bang Flop. I was saving the other tag for a nice buck hopefully to shoot with the Grendel but he showed up last Saturday about 5 minutes before it got too dark to shoot. He circled me out of sight in the laurel and undergrowth for about 35 minutes trying to find that hot doe. Then he just hopped into the old logging path directly down wind 45 yards from me. I slowly lowered the old T-Bolt that the forearm was leaning on the shooting rail of the ladder stand with butt resting on my leg downward and saw through the scope a nice rack on a HUGE BODY. I lined up the cross hairs on his shoulder removed the safety and squeezed the 2 1/2 pound trigger BOOM and through the smoke I see him on the ground and he raises his head and BLAAAAAAAAA and put his dead down and he was done. He was a 7 point and I don't have a scale to weigh one with but I am pretty good at estimation and this buck went every bit of 200 pounds on the hoof. I got right at 45 pounds of de-boned meat off of him. I hunted three evenings this week with the muzzle loader only only having two doe tags but did not see any. Rifle season opens today and I am going this evening with the Grendel but only have two doe tags for the rest of the season. I will report when and if I get a doe. Will be using 28 grs IMR 8208, Hornady case, CCI 450 with 120 Speer Gold Dot in my 18" Oden Works barrel AR. I have not figured out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer then to this site or I would have posted pictures.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• PVBoom
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Here is how to use Google

1) upload it to your Google Photos
      2) get/create a link for that photo (click it so the upper left check box is lit, then use the link (SHARE) icon, top above the photos, the left most blue icon on the right side (says share when you hover over it)
      3) click the create link (bottom left on the dialog that pops up)
      4) another dialog pops up (Whopee!), hit create link, then hit copy
      5) goto link I listed above, delete contents in grey box under 2) Extract with tool. Paste you copied stuff from Google photos, hit [/b]Get Image/Video URL AND CODE[b]
      6) grey box expands lower, hit purple Copy URL to Clipboard

That gets you what you need to post a pic here when it asks you for a URL.

I still can't get it to post full size, only stupid thumbnails, but it gets you something.

Comment

Working...
      X