• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

8 More Hogs + 8 Onboard, OMT and SST Bullets

Oops, OMG it was supposed to be "OTM." I transposed the S's in SST as well, but I don't think anybody will notice.

Decent night, but the high grass made it nearly impossible to find some of my hogs...

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 06-12-2020, 03:59 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

DNS,

You have been using the Berger 130AR Hybrid on a couple of hunts now. What is your general impression of the 130 as a hunting bullet?

Comment

• Ymountainman
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2019

Thanks For the Videos Good Sir

Comment

• peak98
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

Impressive to say the least!

Comment

• sundowner
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2017

Great video , thanks .

Comment

• Goochylogic
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              DNS,

You have been using the Berger 130AR Hybrid on a couple of hunts now. What is your general impression of the 130 as a hunting bullet?
              I don't like it as a hunting bullet. In Berger's defense, they don't sell it as such. It is part of their tactical line...which apparently means that like their other ammo, it is supposed to be very accurate, except that it has a heavier jacket to withstand the heat of the barrel in tactical situations where the person running the rifle might be shooting much more, such heat apparently being too damaging to hunting type bullets. I could find the link to that, but that is the gist of what they say. Anyhow, my impression of the bullet is that it hits and the copper jacket nose gets ripped off, either with impact or when the bullet starts to yaw as it becomes destabilized. As the bullet yaws, it may fragment into chunks or is may remain largely intact and just tumble and end up base first. Fragmentation is good for more damaging wounds. Tumble on impact damage isn't impressive. Since this bullet isn't reliable to perform in a certain manner, I don't like it for hunting. It seems to be a good penetrator, nearly whole or in chunks, but that seems to be about it on terminal ballistics.

Well, unlike above, TNTs are reliable at breaking apart. You know what they are going to do. They don't penetrate as well, but they penetrate sufficiently for most hog shots.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I ask because I use it as a match round in a larger 6.5x47 bolt gun. It is incredibly accurate but have never used it hunting and always has reservations.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Klem, often match rounds are very thin skinned. OTMs are just the opposite. That kind of put the round in a different terminal performance category.

Comment

• empTshell
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

Good video! There is just something so satisfying about watching Hog hunting videos.

Comment

• Fess
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2019

I remember a number of years ago when Berger separated the hunting from the other lines. Before that, it seemed that the tactic used for match bullets was to make the jacket as thin as possible, but there were some integrity problems. The jackets of some target bullets got thicker while the hunting line stayed thin. Later, it is as I recall, it was as DNS said. The tactical line used even thicker jackets to deal with the heat of rapid firing.

Comment

Working...
                      X