• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

More Hogs, Federal Berger AR Hybrid OTM 130 Observations

I have started using the AR Hybrid OTMs (just OTM or bullets from here on) since starting with this Lone Star Armory rifle. It shot them best of the loads that we had. I had seen where folks have been using them for long range hunting and figured it might be a good option. I had tried them previously with ammo loaded by Custom Reloads of Dallas, but that stuff was about 95 fps slower than Federal's load.

So here is my take based on several sessions using the bullets. Accuracy is great. The bullets hit and destabilize very quickly or they don't. They don't expand. The tip of the jacket gets ripped off probably as the bullet yaws. When the bullet yaws, it usually fragments. This is where the real destruction seems to occur. If it doesn't fragment, then damage is more limited and penetration may be much greater. The bullet would apparently destabilize and come apart when hitting bone.

Some bullets have destabilized right after entry and others have penciled in 3 or 4 inches and then destabilized after hitting bone.

In general, the OTM tends to penetrate well, usually all or much of the bullet exiting on typical broadside shots.

In this video, I have a variety of things that occurred. I did decent necropsies on the first 2 hogs. Then I partially dislocated my wrist (old, recurring injury) lifting the 3rd hog. When I could locate no bullet fragments with the metal detector, opted not to cut her open. Wound locations were noted and the two body wounds were finger probed. Hog 4 was cut open open to retrieve fragments and wounds otherwise just finger probed.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Crack...whop! Crack...whop!

Love that!!

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Some fine shooting there DNS. While you got every hog and things went well I still like the 90 gr. TNT better from watching your video's anyway. I sold all my 129 gr. Hornady SP's and as soon as I find a good deal on the 90 gr. TNT's I am going to order 500. The Hornady bullets actually worked pretty good but had too many exits to suit me. I like the SST's too but less mass means less damage after the exit. I shot the last hog I killed with a 243 on a golf course, put a bait pile in a sand trap and used the berm for a backstop. Happily the 100 gr. Speer BTSP was mostly broken up after breaking a leg bone and centering the heart. It did exit in pieces and that hog bled all over the sand trap. Rules being all hogs have to be removed before daylight and the sand trap has to be swept like the ground keeper does it. Had to dig a hole and shovel the bloody sand into it and cover it back up, sort of a pain.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

We could not get the Federal factory load of Speer TNT 90 gr. to group all that well. Alexander Arms' version (ammo I had from years ago) groups MOA or better, but it is also about 100 fps slower than the Federal version. So, that will be likely what I move to next after I go through some more OTMs.

Golf course hunting sounds very interesting!!!

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Actually golf course hunting is a pain! Fancy houses run down all sides and there is a clubhouse at both ends. I only do it when I need a bit of aggravation. My Brother in Law is the HOA boss and I am the only person he can get to do it. And then only when I feel like it which isn't very often but his checks are good. There are not many hogs working that neighborhood/golf course but they irritate the heck out of the fancy lawn owners and the groundskeepers! The funny part is I am on the side of the feral hogs.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

I can see your points. TNT would be the way to go. I know I have trouble with difficult shooting situations, but the concern is normally about livestock, farm gear, and the occasional domicile, not whole neighborhoods lining my shooting areas.

Sounds like you would be doing a lot of what I call "One shot and one shot only" shooting where you have a narrow, 'safe' shooting lane and if your target(s) move outside of that lane, you are usually done.

Unlike you, I don't get paid. Congrats on having a pay gig, even if aggravating.

Comment

• gwtx
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Now that's a good night out. Good shootin, great video. As "ported45" said, I really like to hear that "whop". Even better if there's a little squealing afterward Thanks, keep up the good work. Gary
              When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Excellent video DNS

Comment

• sundowner
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2017

Another great video and info DNS , thanks .

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Always enjoy your commentary, especially the necropsies. Looks like I'll stick to the 90 gr TNT's and the 123 SST's, the 105gr bergers didn't appear too impressive.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      I can see your points. TNT would be the way to go. I know I have trouble with difficult shooting situations, but the concern is normally about livestock, farm gear, and the occasional domicile, not whole neighborhoods lining my shooting areas.

Sounds like you would be doing a lot of what I call "One shot and one shot only" shooting where you have a narrow, 'safe' shooting lane and if your target(s) move outside of that lane, you are usually done.

Unlike you, I don't get paid. Congrats on having a pay gig, even if aggravating.
                      That is exactly what it is. The very best bait I have used so far is a pineapple cut in half long ways and so far every hog that has come down wind of one has gone over to the sand pits. One and done is right and often I have a description of the hog they want dead the most! Going out again tomorrow night. Another suck aspect is occasionally someone calls the sheriff and I have to talk to him. He is a good guy and nowadays he just calls my cell phone to see if the shot heard was from me.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Pineapple? That isn't one I have heard of people trying. Watermelon seems to be a favorite, but when I have tried it, it got devoured by deer and raccoons before the hogs ever had a chance to get there, LOL.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Pineapple? That isn't one I have heard of people trying. Watermelon seems to be a favorite, but when I have tried it, it got devoured by deer and raccoons before the hogs ever had a chance to get there, LOL.
                          Corn, coolaid watermelon mix and a six pack of cheap beer.

Add water put in a 50 gallon plastic drum and seal, wait one week before serving.

I put out a 5 gallon bucket at a time, once they find it it's on like donkey kong.

Deer don't seem to like it to much lol.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Ah yes, another miracle attractant recipe! Everybody has their own special blend, sort of like breaking in rifles.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Ah yes, another miracle attractant recipe! Everybody has their own special blend, sort of like breaking in rifles.
                              Got that one of the Meat eater show.

Works perrty good.

Just don't spill it on your clothes lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X