Wanting to try hunting pigs at 400m, wanting projectile recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AussieCZ
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2019

Wanting to try hunting pigs at 400m, wanting projectile recommendations.

so a bit of background i am located in NSW, Australia. I will be going out to a friends sheep farm after lockdown ends and he has recently been taking pigs between 300m and 400m lately with his 25-06, this would be the first time i have attempted to take pigs at this distance with a grendel and have previously been taking all shots at under 150m with Speer TNT's.

Also am comfortable making shots at this distance and have hunted up to 500m previously but that was with a 7mm Weatherby mag.

Anyone have experience with a projectile that would suit? (would be using my CZ527 MTR)
    Last edited by AussieCZ; 04-09-2020, 04:40 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

129 ablr, 127 lrx, 129 sst, 120 gold dot, 120 nosler bt.

The 129 ablr is what I would use, I have the American varmint, same action and barrel but diffrent stock as your rifle.

With Starline brass and h4895 powder I'm getting just over 2600 fps with the 129 ablr. That will kill just about anything you want inside 600 meters.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

The Ablr, or as economy load try the 129 sst. Still over 1100 ftlb at 400 yd.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I'm going to say it if no one else will...You're going to want a larger calibre for 400M pig shooting. I'd stick with your 7mm unless the Grendel is the only calibre you have at the time.

28.5gn of 2206H for the 120NBT at 58mm OAL is a good load. With the CZ barrel length 2208 is also a good choice.

Comment

• bruceleroy
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

Your Grendel is more than capable of that distance. 5.56 with better bullets will do it at that distance so the Grendel will be adequate.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

At the risk of a firestorm, we have had no problems with one shot kills om pigs out to 378 yards with 123 gr hornady. One at 517 DRT.

Comment

• nuthead
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

123gr hornady eld-m (It's a rebadged amax as far as I can tell) and 28.5gr of 8208 will give you about 2550fps at the muzzle and around 1600fps at 400m... it will expand and kill pigs fine at that range

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

well, i'm sure i sound like an old fuddy dutty, but i agree with Klem. if you have more horsepower, pick that instead. the 6.5 Grendel will work when everything goes right. when it goes wrong you will have a wounded in pain animal that might escape and perhaps take a couple weeks to die. 200m, no issues. 400m and if the shot isn't perfect, it'll be pretty painful for the pig for quite a while. 400m, with field shooting, making good wind calls is not easy for anyone, however if you do it a lot, you learn to read the wind pretty well. and the rifle will have to group, in the field, as good or better than 2cm at 100m i think if you're going to be able to place the bullet exactly where it needs to go. though the bullets mentioned do tend to open up better than others with lower impact velocity you'll see at 400m, one of the advantages of a faster round is that it impacts at 400m with a comfortable velocity margin to ensure bullet expansion. i suspect a 22LR has killed every critter on the globe at one time or other. but far from ideal. of course if your pigs are 20kg or less, maybe not a problem. but if you have a 100kg+ pig, i would think i'd want more margin available if i could. if that's all i had, well, do the best you can to follow up your shot if things go poorly. hopefully things will go well for you for every shot.
                -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                X