• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

My First Hog With 123 gr ELD-M's

The little rain we had brought out the hogs. I saw this one from my front porch. Hopped on my bicycle and rode down to within about 80 yds. Had to lean on the barbed wire fence to get steady because I was breathing hard from the ride. He was rootin and my shot hit a tad further back than where I was aiming, just behind the shoulder instead of in front of it. It passed straight thru and left a 3/4" exit hole, and a fair amount of blood. Would have been enough for tracking if needed. He ran about 25 yds and crashed. Sorry, I don't do necro, but here are some pics,,,,if they come thru ok. The close up is the exit. I think I got time to go out and see if there's more Gotta get'em while I can,,,before that bicycle kills me Good huntin to yall.
    Attached Files
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Bicycles give a stealthy approach. Curious if you slung your rifle or held it across the handle bars. If you keep up with the bicycle you might get a scabbard like they use in the military for their bicycles and motorcycles. Gives the description of your rifle, AR/bolt gun and barrel length.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Good kill sir.

Comment

• CJW
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Outstanding!!!!!

Pictures are really good.

Chuck

Comment

• gwtx
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Bicycles give a stealthy approach. Curious if you slung your rifle or held it across the handle bars. If you keep up with the bicycle you might get a scabbard like they use in the military for their bicycles and motorcycles. Gives the description of your rifle, AR/bolt gun and barrel length.
          The rifle is an ar15/Grendel, 18"bbl, with only a thread protector on the muzzle. I use 10 rd mags, have never had the need for more with this rifle. Usually only shoot 1 to 3 or 4 rounds.
          My first concern on carrying the rifle is safety, but protecting my scope is a close second. If anything happens to it, I'll probably just quit hunting, cause I can't afford another one, and I am spoiled by using the thermal scope. I'd hate to have to go back to the big bulky red light I used several years ago. So, I carry my rifle slung over the right shoulder on my back, muzzle down. I have the "quick adjustable" (sometimes) sling connected two points so that it holds the rifle with the brass catcher away from my back. I need to relocate the safety switch to the right hand side, because every once in a while it gets "rubbed" to the "fire" position, and when un-slinging, it would be easy to get a finger into the trigger guard. "It's on the list to do".
          I ride to the different places and scan for "targets". Slinging and un-slinging gets a bit tiresome sometimes, but not too bad. The bicycle also gets me a few inches above the rattlesnakes, and keeps me from stepping in the cow patties, and gets me around the property quicker
          . Once I spot targets, I get off the bike and walk to a convenient place to shoot from. Usually a fence post or tree limb,etc. Sometimes, I park my bike perpendicular to the target and kneel beside it, using it for a rest for the rifle. Not as steady as I once was .
          There are a couple of pastures I can scan from my porch. IF see a target, I can get on the bike and usually get in range pretty quick without scaring off the critters. The bike is a "mountain bike" that I have had for several years and works well, but it seems to be harder to pedal each year that passes , especially when the ground gets soft, and riding into a 25 mph wind
          uphill, like last night. I have thought about looking into the fat tire bikes with the electric motor/battery,,,,but am waiting for a large enough social security increase to buy it Thanks for your reply/question, and for your input to the forum. I have learned volumes from you guys on the forum. Good huntin to ya.
          When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• pacificpt
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2019

It looks like you have adapted the tools at your disposal to the situation at hand very well sir. Meat for the freezer, good shooting.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

I have considered a bike or an electric scooter, but just can't bring myself to ride through pastures on one with a lung rifle. Kudos to you on your success in doing so!!!!
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
                The rifle is an ar15/Grendel, 18"bbl, with only a thread protector on the muzzle. I use 10 rd mags, have never had the need for more with this rifle. Usually only shoot 1 to 3 or 4 rounds.
                My first concern on carrying the rifle is safety, but protecting my scope is a close second. If anything happens to it, I'll probably just quit hunting, cause I can't afford another one, and I am spoiled by using the thermal scope. I'd hate to have to go back to the big bulky red light I used several years ago. So, I carry my rifle slung over the right shoulder on my back, muzzle down. I have the "quick adjustable" (sometimes) sling connected two points so that it holds the rifle with the brass catcher away from my back. I need to relocate the safety switch to the right hand side, because every once in a while it gets "rubbed" to the "fire" position, and when un-slinging, it would be easy to get a finger into the trigger guard. "It's on the list to do".
                I ride to the different places and scan for "targets". Slinging and un-slinging gets a bit tiresome sometimes, but not too bad. The bicycle also gets me a few inches above the rattlesnakes, and keeps me from stepping in the cow patties, and gets me around the property quicker
                . Once I spot targets, I get off the bike and walk to a convenient place to shoot from. Usually a fence post or tree limb,etc. Sometimes, I park my bike perpendicular to the target and kneel beside it, using it for a rest for the rifle. Not as steady as I once was .
                There are a couple of pastures I can scan from my porch. IF see a target, I can get on the bike and usually get in range pretty quick without scaring off the critters. The bike is a "mountain bike" that I have had for several years and works well, but it seems to be harder to pedal each year that passes , especially when the ground gets soft, and riding into a 25 mph wind
                uphill, like last night. I have thought about looking into the fat tire bikes with the electric motor/battery,,,,but am waiting for a large enough social security increase to buy it Thanks for your reply/question, and for your input to the forum. I have learned volumes from you guys on the forum. Good huntin to ya.
                I wonder if you could mount a set of the old school 4wheeler rifle racks to the handle bars?

They mount to the steering bars of 4wheelers.

That would keep you from having to sling and bundling so much and it would keep your rifle on the horizontal plane out infront of you but be quick,easy and quiet to get your rifle in and out of.

I might have to go take a pic of mine so to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
                  I wonder if you could mount a set of the old school 4wheeler rifle racks to the handle bars?

They mount to the steering bars of 4wheelers.

That would keep you from having to sling and unsling so much and it would keep your rifle on the horizontal plane out infront of you but be quick,easy and quiet to get your rifle in and out of.

I might have to go take a pic of mine so to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Comment

• gwtx
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

I have looked at numerous racks, and they would work, but I ride on some pretty rough ground sometime. At night, it is hard to see an armadillo dig, or other bumps and holes. I am concerned about jarring the scope too much. The area's where I need to go are too rough for a golf cart,(thanks to the hogs) and I don't want to replace a thousand dollars worth of batteries at some time later on. Hunters on the neighboring property have a cart, and hardly use it unless they have a bunch of guests. They have other "off road" vehicles, and a lot more money than I to spend As long as the lungs hold up, I'll probably keep pedaling Thanks for the input.
                    Last edited by gwtx; 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• RobertFL
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Your shot was effective!
                      Last edited by RobertFL; 03-21-2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• RobertFL
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

Nice job on the hog. You have a good system that works. I have been thinking about making an electric 3 wheel bike.. Sounds like you put hogs in your freezer as needed, we have hog 2 to 4 times a week. For supper I am Warming up some hog stew meat I cooked the other night in my crock pot in chicken broth and other spices. Also Made toasted white Quinua that my wife likes, not as good as rice but healthier.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks for the reply gwtx, always interesting to hear what equipment other forum members use. I used to ride a bike a lot in my younger years and need to get back on mine. There is a really nice bike trail near my grandsons so with the current situation we need to try it out when it quits raining. I have slings mounted on the side of several of my rifles. I like the sling on the front on my weak side and the sling on the rear on my strong side. I find it is a lot more comfortable to carry the slung rifle on my back with the sling on the side opposed to the bottom of the rifle.

I know a lot of people curse three point slings but I can use a three point sling to where I carry my rifle like putting on a back pack. Carrying a rifle like a back pack makes it easier to climb or do other task. Thanks again gwtx for your insight and post on your hunting and equipment.
                          Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-22-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

Good kill

Comment

Working...
                            X