Last Speer Gold Dot Hog Video and it is a good one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Last Speer Gold Dot Hog Video and it is a good one.

I had an exciting night with a lot of shot opportunities on hogs, hauling hogs out of a muddy field, some guy who interrupted my hunt by searching my truck with a flashlight and then tying flagging tape to it, and then shooting more hogs.

The thing with the dude checking out my truck was just weird. This all happened within 3 or 4 minutes of me stopping. I was parked close to a gate and right against the fence where I had parked on numerous occasions previously. I had dead hogs loaded in the back. I was 50-75 yards in the field when he pulled up to my truck after first passing it on the highway. He scanned the field very briefly with his flashlight and failed to see me. I didn't make contact with him because it would spoil my hunt...I had hogs in the field at that time. He then looked all over my truck and peered in the windows with his flashlight. He went back to his vehicle and I thought he was leaving when he returned to my truck and started messing with the driver's side door. I thought he was trying to gain entry. Then, he left. Later, I found where he had affixed flagging tape to the door handle. I know this is a practice that is done during storms, blizzards, and with wrecked vehicles that are off in a ditch and what not waiting to be towed, so that future searchers would not re-inspect empty vehicles, but the weather was good, my truck was still warm and ticking as the engine cooled, and it wasn't wrecked. Weird. Never seen this done previously. The guy didn't call and report my vehicle to the sheriff's office or to the game warden. I don't think the dude would have put a hand on my truck had he known he was under observation.

I ran out of Speer Gold bullets and had to revert back to some Federal Speer TNT ammo I had in the truck in order to finish my hunt. I will be doing my next few hunts with 90 gr. Varmageddon bullets loaded by Custom Reloads of Dallas.

I hope you will enjoy the video...

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Lemonaid
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

A great exhibition of skill!
    From the video it looks like you are keeping a quite steady aim, how do you manage that? What position? (standing, kneeling, prone), bi-pod or sling?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Lemonaid, I use a set of tripod Triggersticks. I am too wobbly on a bipod and on a monopod, I am only slightly more steady than offhand. I have never attempted to hide the fact that I need all the help I can get, LOL. I have the older Gen II versions. I have good days and bad. I think what helped this hunt the most is that the hogs have returned and I have been getting in some more regular trigger time. My skills fall off when the hogs stop showing up as much.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Thanks for the info DNS, very helpful!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Great vid as always bro.

Comment

• CaptnC
            Warrior
            • May 2018

DNS, I'm at the dealership with the son buying a new car, so I have not watched the video....please tell me we get to enjoy your normal narration!?!?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Ha! Yes.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Happy New Year DNS, A5B, Capt.C and Lemonaid.

Let’s have a super safe hunting season in 2020

Nice show.

Comment

• Jkruger
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2019

Fantastic shooting and Happy New year to you too sir.
                  Your videos are always entertaining and I enjoy them greatly.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Thanks, y'all! I will be starting off 2020 with the rest of my loaded Varmageddon rounds to see how they will do.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Great video, thanks for sharing. I've been reading about how big a problem the hogs are but it looks like your making the best out of a bad situation. Congratulations

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Indeed. Went out last night and didn't see a single hog. This is bad and good. It is bad because I waste a lot of time and fuel traveling and wear and tear on the knees walking through muddy fields for nothing. The good is that the properties are not getting damaged. I can't stop all the hogs and I am not doing squat to the population as a whole, but I can make surviving hogs feel very unwanted on the properties I hunt.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                          Indeed. Went out last night and didn't see a single hog. This is bad and good. It is bad because I waste a lot of time and fuel traveling and wear and tear on the knees walking through muddy fields for nothing. The good is that the properties are not getting damaged. I can't stop all the hogs and I am not doing squat to the population as a whole, but I can make surviving hogs feel very unwanted on the properties I hunt.
                          Y'all lucky. Atleast y'all have a chance in texas. In louisiana we can only night hunt them after and before deer season opens.

And the pigs have learned this. On my camreas you never see a hog until avreage 1 hour after sunset and they show up several times a night to feed till around 4am.

Right now I'm going through 100 pounds of corn and 100 pounds of rice brand a night on avreage.

Only good thing about it is, they get lazy and carefree this way and come Feb when I can start night hunting time. It gives a advantage for the first week are 2. Then they wise back up.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Congrats again. Is there a way we can support you somehow?

I'd like to contribute to your gas money, ammo, cameras, time, etc.

Happy New Year!
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FALer
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2019

Yeah man, legit work you're doing down that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X