Old dogs can learn new lessons and this one may help you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Old dogs can learn new lessons and this one may help you.

I reported earlier that I blooded my 18" Oden 6.5 Grendel rifle by killing a doe. This just happened to be the first deer that I have hauled out on the back of my 4 wheeler. Lesson I learned is do not place a deer's head on the right side. The muffler is directly under where the deer's head was. I usually do not field dress my deer because I do my own processing and it is a short time between them hitting the ground and being deboned and sitting in a cooler soaking. There was a lot of blood that came out of the mouth and nose and ran down onto the muffler and by the time I noticed it was fried onto it. The next day it took me about 2 hrs. to wash the blood off my 4 wheeler and scrape the muffler trying to remove the fried blood and clean my wooden decked trailer I haul the 4 wheeler on. I could still smell a little of the fried blood after running to and from my hunting spot yesterday.

I put a plastic tarp in my plastic tote box that I mounted onto the front of my 4 wheeler for the next deer. I will wrap the deer in the tarp and then put it on the 4 wheeler. Lesson learned and I hope it will save you a mess.
  • sbowhuntr
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

Been there before, only took me one time of doing that to learn a lesson. Believe it or not 10 years later it's still visible on the muffler of my 4 wheeler.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

A little oven cleaner might fix that muffler right up. Panhead Harleys used to like to leak from the rocker covers onto the exhaust pipes. We used oven cleaner to clean them right up, but that was on chrome pipes.

Don't see too many Panheads on the road anymore, last ones Harley built was in '65. Some folks still build with aftermarket parts.

Comment

• Plainsman
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2019

I carry a medium Jetsled in the cargo-hold of my Rhino. Flip it out, put the deer in it, and tow the sled home. Works OK IF I can get the deer in the sled. If not I hook it up with a log-chain and drag it in. Lifting even a smallish deer is getting a bit much for me.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

And, don't throw a fresh killed deer in the back of a white truck, either! Unless you can find a better way to explain the pink bed.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by just_john View Post
            And, don't throw a fresh killed deer in the back of a white truck, either! Unless you can find a better way to explain the pink bed.
            ROFL

Mad Charlie thanks. Never thought about oven cleaner.

Comment

• Greg Skinner
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2016

I use one of those cargo carriers that slips into the receiver hitch of my atv. I only have to lift the animal less than a foot, it does not bloody up my atv and I have hauled 2 deer at one time on it. Yes, I have gone the bloody muffler route also - which is what led me to try something else.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I don't even worrie about it anymore. Heck I got dryed blood in the bed of my truck and on the drive side of the bed from all 4 of the deer I have killed this year.

And I just bought the truck in November.

Comment

• Daveycrockett
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2019

I agree with A5....I only wash my truck after hunting season and it's usually a bloody mess...lol
                  Guess that's why I call it my hunting truck

Comment

Working...
                  X