• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Recovered a 120 grain Gold Dot from a 230 lb boar at 45 yards

47B41F80-CE2B-4D4A-A284-CB214400096B.jpeg2D29D4CC-1F15-4C95-8F47-8349170C9449.jpeg

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-21-2019, 04:02 PM.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Very good. Lot of information there.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Great vid and good Intel thank you sir.

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Good information. From my experience shooting the 120 Gold Dot which is only on one deer so it is very limited. It seems that on impact the bullet does expand fully with the 5 peddles but it depends on what type of tissue it impacts as to what effect this expansion has. From what I see in this hog the impact was into a thick layer of fat which contains less fluid than entering the average white tail deer chest cavity. Thus you do not get the hydro effect in the fat as you do in lung or heart tissue.

Once the bullet got into this lung and heart tissue you see much more damage which happens by the fully expanded bullet displacing more available fluid content. The one deer I shot in the chest as it faced me had a HUGE amount of hydro effect damage to the effect that it broke two ribs on one side and three on the other and snapped the scapula in half on one side but there was NO sign of any bullet fragmentation.

The bullet penetrated around 20" from front of chest through the gut and exited the belly about 6 inches in front of the crotch with a thumb size exit hole. After shooting hundreds of white tail deer with about everything between a sharp stick to a 45-70 I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "temporary cavity" that people speak of. The damaged done by displacement of fluid rips and smashes tissue and there is nothing temporary about it.
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM. Reason: paragraphs

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

LOL, temporary wound cavities are exactly that, wound cavities that are temporary. The temporary wound cavity will close back up, versus a permanent wound cavity that will not. The wounds are not temporary, but the cavity is.

So you made a frontal shot on a doe that broke ribs on both sides and a scapula without the bullet actually touching these 5 ribs and scapula?
          Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 02-18-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
            Good information. From my experience shooting the 120 Gold Dot which is only on one deer so it is very limited. It seems that on impact the bullet does expand fully with the 5 peddles but it depends on what type of tissue it impacts as to what effect this expansion has. From what I see in this hog the impact was into a thick layer of fat which contains less fluid than entering the average white tail deer chest cavity. Thus you do not get the hydro effect in the fat as you do in lung or heart tissue.

Once the bullet got into this lung and heart tissue you see much more damage which happens by the fully expanded bullet displacing more available fluid content. The one deer I shot in the chest as it faced me had a HUGE amount of hydro effect damage to the effect that it broke two ribs on one side and three on the other and snapped the scapula in half on one side but there was NO sign of any bullet fragmentation.

The bullet penetrated around 20" from front of chest through the gut and exited the belly about 6 inches in front of the crotch with a thumb size exit hole. After shooting hundreds of white tail deer with about everything between a sharp stick to a 45-70 I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "temporary cavity" that people speak of. The damaged done by displacement of fluid rips and smashes tissue and there is nothing temporary about it.
            In terminal ballistics terminology, they distinguish between the permanent channel created by the bullet, and the "temporary stretch cavity" created by the effects of the bullet outside of the permanent cavity.

Maybe different terminology would describe the phenomena more clearly.

Hornady has a great discussion on it on their site.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

#1) the gold dots should NEVER fragment, they’re molecular bonding process should deter fragmenting and losing petals, in all my years of hunting this style of bullet (deep curl / fusion / gold dot) I’ve only had 1 bullet that
              fragmented

#2) I would venture to say that bone strikes will curtail the flowering effect and result in a smushed recovered bullet while tissue and muscle impacts allow the bullet to open into petals and cause serious damage to surrounding tissue and structures

See the original post where I posted 3 gold dots recovered from a single pig.

The mangled recovery was the first shot that entered high and back (ham/rump) and traveled laterally through the fluid rich areas of the guts where it was recovered. This path of resistance is not only more fluid than a standard broadside shot but also across the grain of muscle structure which is why I believe it shed so much more weight given the travel distance...
              Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

So you made a frontal shot on a doe that broke ribs on both sides and a scapula without the bullet actually touching these 5 ribs and scapula?

Yes. I have made that same shot numerous times with many different calibers and bullet makes and I have never seen this happen. The Gold Dot seems to be a different critter.

When the Gold Dot pistol bullets came out a number of years ago I used the 158 gr in my T/C Contender 10" barrel 357 Mag pistol to shoot a couple deer and it preformed much better than any other bullet I ever used. It expanded into the multiple petals and held together and penetrated really well. It did not exhibit large hydro type effect like the rifle bullet because it was moving much slower. I recovered one bullet that went through both scapula and was found under the hide on the off side. Text book example of full expanding bonded bullet. Other bullet was through and through broad side tight behind shoulder.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

I think the difference is not with the Gold Dot bullet. Too many people use them without this sort of result. Instead, either you had an odd deer with some sort of ossification problem, the deer already had broken bones, or something happened to the deer in handling.

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                    I think the difference is not with the Gold Dot bullet. Too many people use them without this sort of result. Instead, either you had an odd deer with some sort of ossification problem, the deer already had broken bones, or something happened to the deer in handling.
                    Each person has their own opinion. The results I had is the experience I had. Just because you have never had the same experience with something does not mean that your opinion is correct and everyone else's is incorrect. Have a nice day but watch your attitude.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

No attitude. The circumstances that you describe don't match the results. That is, the attribution of such extensive indirect hard tissue damage to the make and model of bullet given that such results don't occur elsewhere with the same make and model indicate that such results are most likely due to other aspects.

Comment

• Brazz04
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2018

Twas a magic gold dot i suppose...I like that threat of watch your attitude as if you're not just someone on the internet talking to someone else on the internet...solid post lol

Comment

• RMiller
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Those recovered bullets look great.

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

A lot of good info , thanks .

Comment

• tracker12
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Was this with factory ammo or reloads with the GD bullets?
                              AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

Working...
                              X