• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

8 Hogs, Standing, Walking, Running, Head & Long Shots

2019 was off to a slow start for me until last night. One of my landowners freed up a property that he had allowed deer hunters to use over deer season and they had gotten their limit and were done. Apparently, they had not been doing much with the hogs. Lucky me.

I thought the video showed some interesting shots.

I still like this Federal American Eagle Speer TNT 90 gr. ammo. It really does seem to do a lot of damage to hogs as short range and long range. HuntTXhogs managed to find me nearly 3 more boxes of the stuff from a guy that was selling off his Grendel gear (silly man) and so I won't run out this month, but I definitely will run out before they start making it again.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Great vid again DNS.

One thing I always notice with your vids is how the hogs appear huge, then the after pic shows a smaller result. Overall Tx hogs are much bigger than I am seeing here in Central FL.

Thx for posting.

SY

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Awesome job.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
        Great vid again DNS.

One thing I always notice with your vids is how the hogs appear huge, then the after pic shows a smaller result. Overall Tx hogs are much bigger than I am seeing here in Central FL.

Thx for posting.

SY
        Thanks!

I once called it 'thermal shrinkage' because the hogs seemed to shrink in size after being seen through thermal. Part of that is the level of magnification. I find it easier to hit targets that look bigger, LOL.

On hog sized, what I believe is that when you have populations of smaller hogs, that is probably a sign of significant and/or continuous hunting pressure. Folks tend to cull the largest hogs first. Now, a lot of these hogs can reach 200 lbs before reaching 2 years of age, particularly boars. At least here, that is not uncommon. We can get 175-230 lb boards with their adult tusks that are less than 1/2" long (fairly recently erupted).

So without actually aging any of the hogs that I shot based on tooth wear, I would be willing to guess than none of them were more than 2 years old and most probably weren't more than 1-1.5 years old.

Comment

• Bevo
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

When is Federal going to start making this ammo again? I think I'm down to 12 rounds.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Very impressive shooting and very good bullet performance. A 90 grain bullet still has a decent amount of mass and at the moderate 6.5 Grendel velocity makes it a very versatile bullet. Even at long distance (300 yards) the bullet still performed very well.

Thanks for posting DNS! You ought to send a few of your videos to Federal so they can see how well this cartridge performs with 90 grain TNT. I bet the upper management at Federal don’t have a clue. Being sold out everywhere is a very good indication about the popularity of the 90 grain TNT ammo.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
              Warrior
              • Apr 2016

DNS,
              Thx for that tusk to size explanation, puts a new perspective on things.

Hogs look bigger in the dark, at least to me anyway. The one I shot last nite was within 10ft of me and from my perspective looked big. I was sitting in a chair and gun pointed wrong direction, and he appeared right there, 10ft or so. Looked huge. He probably didn't see me, but if he had decided to attack, it might have gotten exciting.

After shooting him, I taped him and it worked out to ~90lbs, but he had almost no tusk or just the beginnings of. Other I shot a few weeks back had cutters over 1.5in, but prob around 130+lbs. Am told there is an even larger one appearing on club cameras, I would be curious to see how long his cutters were, in relation to his body size. He has not given us an opportunity to get a shot off, him I definitely don't want sneaking up on me in the dark.

SY

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bevo View Post
                When is Federal going to start making this ammo again? I think I'm down to 12 rounds.
                A5BLASTER said he called them and that April was now the mythical time of TNT creation... http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...90-grain/page2

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
                DNS,
                Thx for that tusk to size explanation, puts a new perspective on things.

Hogs look bigger in the dark, at least to me anyway. The one I shot last nite was within 10ft of me and from my perspective looked big. I was sitting in a chair and gun pointed wrong direction, and he appeared right there, 10ft or so. Looked huge. He probably didn't see me, but if he had decided to attack, it might have gotten exciting.

After shooting him, I taped him and it worked out to ~90lbs, but he had almost no tusk or just the beginnings of. Other I shot a few weeks back had cutters over 1.5in, but prob around 130+lbs. Am told there is an even larger one appearing on club cameras, I would be curious to see how long his cutters were, in relation to his body size. He has not given us an opportunity to get a shot off, him I definitely don't want sneaking up on me in the dark.

SY
                I have shot a couple smaller boars with long tusks, but they seem to be the exceptions rather than the rule here. Technically, tooth wear patterns are a better indicator of age more so than tusk development which can vary considerably. However, if they are short (and not broken) then the animal isn't apt to be very old.
                Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01-11-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• sundowner
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2017

Great video thanks DNS

Comment

• IescapedCali
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

Great video! Nice to see ya getting into the big sounders again. Impressive hit on the long range running oinker.

Comment

• Djgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

Excellent, as always! Oh snap guys it's DNS!!. Run for it!!! Petunia never had a chance. Great job picking up the runners!
                      Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

DNS

1. What distance are you zero'd at?
                        2. What do you do with all them hogs?
                        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                          DNS

I’ve watched and hunted with DNS over the last few years, these are my thoughts to your queries, not necessarily factual or DNS’ thoughts

1. He probably has a “zero” technically but his shots and the consistency by which he makes connections at all varieties of distance and angles makes me think the guns zero is Infinity

2. He eliminates them and those he doesn’t get today he’ll get tomorrow !

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                            DNS

HTXh's answer is better than mine.

Supposedly zeroed at 100 yards. Truth be known, if I am shooting within 3/4" inch in elevation (high) then I won't change the zero to be a true 100 yard zero. I will adjust anything that is too low and more than an inch too high. With that said, I haven't checked my zero in a couple of months. Hogs keep falling and shots are about where I expect them to be, so I don't go back and try to make things better.

As for the hogs I shoot, I used to take them home, but the wife put a stop to that. They are now returned to nature, usually left in boneyard areas designated by the landowner.

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Dude!...that is EXACTLY what I was thinking...lol

Nice shooting to be sure!
                              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                              X