• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snell
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

experience with diffrerent bullets on deer

There are a ton of videos and info about the performance of various bullets on hogs but I'm not seeing much "first person" reporting on deer performance. They is lots of manufacturers hype about expansion but I've like to hear from the hoard regarding their experience on expansion/performance, especially at ranges from 150 yards and out. What kind of bullets are your using, what sort of wound channel is occurring and how is the blood trail look? Have you had any pass throughs without expansion? Any solid hits that required extensive tracking? Any pitfalls a noob should be aware of?
    Thanks guys, ..remember, only 10 months and counting!
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

I have only been deer hunting with my 6.5 grendel for 2 seasons. First year using a 16" barrel with Hornady 123gr factory SST. Killed one buck, short range, 25 yards and was DRT, complete pass thru in the boiler room. My grandson did kill two hogs with one shot at about 50 yards with the same 16" and 123gr SST setup. Both hogs were a complete pass thru and DRT.

Second year killed two deer, both were neck shots, one at 100 yards or so, other at 25 yards, both DRT, however these were with my 12.7" faxon barrel and handloads using 129 gr Nosler ABLR's. Sorry no blood trail needed on any of my deer.

There is a lot of information compiled in the hunting thread concerning various bullets performance. SST is by far the most used on deer with very good results.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

This forum right here has hundreds upon hundreds of first-person samples across a wide range of bullets:

The individual accounts are well-documented in the Knock-Down Survey right on Page 1.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• snell
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2018

LRRPF52, Thanks a lot! That's is a ton of data and is priceless information. Looks like the 123 SST is the go-to whitetail bullet,

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

where is this at

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
            where is this at
            In this thread, the game knock-down survey we have ongoing here.

Be advised the knock-down survey is only for raw field data from actual kills or losses, not commentary, so we can keep track of it and record the data format to help everyone get a much bigger picture of sample sizes and experiences with the cartridge on game.

Nugginfutz recently updated it with the graphs and collated data after spending about 18 hours crunching numbers that you see in the graph I posted above, which is very helpful for the layman just wondering, "What bullet should I use?"
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X