• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

First kill with the Grr

My hunt this year has been ruff going. Had to sit out two days because of storms and rain and then it has been hot and windy and the deer have not been moving in daylight . After 9 days I finally saw a deer this afternoon. It was a doe at 111 yards. She was facing me so I shot her in the chest hoping to recover the bullet. This was my first kill with my 20 inch BCA AR. I was shooting 120 Speer GD, Horn case, cci 450, 28 gr. IMR 8208, 2550 fps . Entered center of chest completely pulped heart and lunges. Looked like a grenade went off but bullet continued on and exited at the back of the belly about 6 inches in front of the crotch. At the shot deer dropped and did the Curly shuffle and was dead. Now I am going to use my 18 inch Oden Works AR with 120 Sierra PH to try to get another deer. It is supposed to cool off a good bit so deer should travel and the rut usually is also at this time.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Glad that you were able to get one.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• IescapedCali
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

Thanks for the great report. Venison in the freezer!

Comment

• ported45
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

At least you got to pull the trigger and put meat in the freezer! Congrats.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

After two weeks of sitting in my stand and not seeing but only one deer and my buddy not seeing but 3 deer and hearing hardly any shots where you can hear a gun shot at about 10 miles away in the flat country of Halifax Co. NC we have decided that black tongue has hit this area and there are hardly any deer left in this area. I came home a week early from my hunt decided to not waste any more time.

Comment

• snell
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
            After two weeks of sitting in my stand and not seeing but only one deer and my buddy not seeing but 3 deer and hearing hardly any shots where you can hear a gun shot at about 10 miles away in the flat country of Halifax Co. NC we have decided that black tongue has hit this area and there are hardly any deer left in this area. I came home a week early from my hunt decided to not waste any more time.
            I hunted Northern Northampton county the last week of October and lots of deer were moving. Lets hope the herd in in good shape and you just got unlucky.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Nope when we went out a number of nights driving letting our headlights kind of shining out across some of those huge soybean fields and you do not see any deer in them something is up. I have hunted this same farm for the past 25 years and for the first 15 years my hunting buddy and I did crop damage control hunting and had to take 100 deer a year off this farm and it seemed not even to make a dint in the population. It seems to be just within maybe around a 25 mile or so area. I used to live up in Gaston in Northampton Co. Talked to some people from there and they have plenty of deer this year but I don't have any land there I can hunt. Heading out from Roanoke Rapids on 158 toward I 85 and all over I 85 and I 40 on my way home to TN I saw deer that had been run over everywhere.

Comment

Working...
              X