• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Ready to hunt.

Got to go to the range this morning and it was a beautiful day for shooting. Temps dropped 10* below normal temps for this time of year and was in the mid to upper 60s until almost noon and there was hardly any wind at all and what wind there was wasn't over 2 mph. I put a Primary Arms 1-8x24 ACSS on my 18" Oden Works barreled rifle and got it zeroed at 100 yards with just a few shots. My load I want to try on deer out of this rifle is 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady Case, CCI 450, 28.5 grs IMR 8208 COAL 2.250 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. This averages 2550 fps and if I do my part it will put 5 shots under 1/2".
    I had already zeroed my 20" BCA barrel rifle a couple weeks ago but checked it today. I have an old Leopold VXII 3-9x50 that I sent off a number of years ago to premier reticles and had them put a heavy German style reticle in it and also put target turrets with click adjustment on it. This has worked really well for low light conditions for deer hunting on a couple rifles over the years. I put a 200 yards zero on this rifle. I will be trying this load for deer. 120 Speer Gold Dot, Hornady case, CCI 450, 28 grs IMR 8208 and a medium Lee Factory Crimp. I have to load this round out really long for it to shoot best. It will not work through Elander mags but ACS and AR Stoner mags work fine. This does 2550 fps and again if I do my part it will do 3/4" groups.

So come on Oct. 25 I am ready to hunt deer.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Good luck. My gun hunts are not until January.

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

Looking forward to the terminal ballistic post? Best of luck this fall.

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Yes I will give a ballistics report. I really want to see how the 120 Gold Dot does. It also shoots REALLY well in my Oden rifle. The 120 Pro Hunter I have experience with at Grendel velocities from long range deer shooting where it has slowed down with a 6.5x55 and 260 Rem. It works great.

Comment

Working...
        X