• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Beaver & Coyote with Speer TNT 90 gr.

There is something special about sitting by a small, tranquil lake in the evening time, watching the ducks and egrets, surrounded by clouds of mosquitoes as you wait for the occasional beaver to swim by in range. I had been hunting at the opposite end of this small lake (few acres in size), but seemed to have wiped out the beaver that live on the opposite end. I would see other beaver crossing the lake some 300-400 yards distant, but could not reasonably hope to hit one of their tiny little moving heads at that distance. So I moved to the opposite side of the lake. Here is one example of the beaver action for the night.

I then moved on to the next property and camped out there for a while. I was able to see hogs (what I really enjoy hunting), but they remained about a half mile away on the neighbor's place. What made the night interesting was that the cattle would not stay settled. I figured it was my intrusion and maybe it was, but it was also apparently that one of their own had died a day or two early and was just about ambient temperature, down and bloated. They never moved far from this cow. Also nearby were two baby fawns. I would see their heads peek up above the grass every once in a while when the cattle would come close, but then the heads would disappear below grass level. These would be my first fawns to see for 2018 and I was a bit surprised they had been left so close to a dead cow (about 75 yards away). So I started blowing my rabbit distress call and sure enough those to 'fawns' popped right up and were COYOTES! They were small coyotes, but coyotes. I called to them for quite a while before one finally came to within reasonable range and in a safe direction of fire relative to the cattle...

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

Nice! Looks like fun evenings down there in Texas.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Is there such a thing as a deer fawn bleat call for coyotes?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        Is there such a thing as a deer fawn bleat call for coyotes?
        Yes google P.S. OLT or Faulk's game calls.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Nice video.
          Why are beaver considered pests?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            Nice video.
            Why are beaver considered pests?
            If you had beavers, you would probably understand. The problem is that people tend to like nature to remain stable and consistent, to not change. If you buy a property with a little flowing creek through it, lined with trees, you probably like the little flowing creek lined with trees. Then the beaver move in, knock down a bunch of the trees you paid for when you bought the property and covert the little flowing stream into a small lake, covering pasture you didn't want flooded, maybe backing up into your neighbor's property, etc. If you had wanted a property with a big pond, then you would have purchased a property with a big pond, right?

In this case, I am dealing with beaver that keep raising the water table on a small lake, having it grow beyond the intended area it was supposed to flood, waterlogging areas that would normally drain and dry out, areas the landowner drives in order to care for his cattle.

Before you say anything, I know all the beneficial reasons why beaver should live. They promote environmental change, often for the better, opening up areas via removal of trees and making temporary water sources permanent or nearly permanent. These are all good thing. Nature is not stagnate and is always wanting to change. That is great as long as this is what you want for the land you purchased, but alas, most folks don't want the beavers to randomly modify their property.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              If you had beavers, you would probably understand. The problem is that people tend to like nature to remain stable and consistent, to not change. If you buy a property with a little flowing creek through it, lined with trees, you probably like the little flowing creek lined with trees. Then the beaver move in, knock down a bunch of the trees you paid for when you bought the property and covert the little flowing stream into a small lake, covering pasture you didn't want flooded, maybe backing up into your neighbor's property, etc. If you had wanted a property with a big pond, then you would have purchased a property with a big pond, right?

In this case, I am dealing with beaver that keep raising the water table on a small lake, having it grow beyond the intended area it was supposed to flood, waterlogging areas that would normally drain and dry out, areas the landowner drives in order to care for his cattle.

Before you say anything, I know all the beneficial reasons why beaver should live. They promote environmental change, often for the better, opening up areas via removal of trees and making temporary water sources permanent or nearly permanent. These are all good thing. Nature is not stagnate and is always wanting to change. That is great as long as this is what you want for the land you purchased, but alas, most folks don't want the beavers to randomly modify their property.
              Good write up sir.

But you forgot one info point, they taste great when cooked on the pit and based in honey mustered.

Comment

Working...
              X