• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Black wolf

This morning was another good hunt.I saw a big dark gray wolf at first light,a male I think.I have seen that one before.He is very skittish.He wouldn't stick around and was in the timber.A little while later this black male comes trotting down the river.I wacked him at about 290 yds. with another 100gr.AMAX from my Howa.It was hard to see my crosshairs on the black wolf.A lung shot so no bone to anchor him.He danced around a bit and as I rechambered another round then took off.I missed on my second shot as he disappeared into the timber.He expired about a hundred yards from where I shot him. I dragged him out of the bush to my sled.I think this one is pretty healthy and has been feeding well.Likely 150lbs.
    The wolves are moving a lot this time of year looking for mates.20180318_084022 - Edited.jpg20180318_084522 - Edited.jpg
  • 6.8 klr
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Good on you Dude ! That is truly an accomplishment...100 G. A-max...awesome at that distance.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

What's the story with hunting wolves in BC? Do you have to tag your kills or apply for a licence? Are there limits?

I was just reading how wolf culling is controversial up your way.

Comment

• xlcc
        Warrior
        • Feb 2016

Klem,all a resident needs is a hunting licence.There are seasons and some management areas there are bag limits but no tags.Like huntin' coyotes NBL.The Cattlemans Ass. even provided a bounty in some areas.It is very difficult to manage the wolf population.Most hunters stop hunting when they get meat for the freezer.If more hunters put the effort in to hunt the predators there would be more ungulates.A lot of my friends and neighbors are trappers and they catch a few as well,but not very many.
        This year I have been very lucky too.It must be this new Grendel.We also have LOTS of bears.Black bears in particular are heavy predators on calf moose.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

Ever since its reintroduction in Wisconsin the wolf has taken its toll on the deer population also. That is what the DNR wanted and they got it.

Comment

• xlcc
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

A couple of years ago a wolf chased a deer into our yard and ran by our picnic table.At that point the wolf decided to turn around and the deer escaped.I have noticed if the deer are hanging around close by there are predators in the area.

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by CVCOBRA1 View Post
              Ever since its reintroduction in Wisconsin the wolf has taken its toll on the deer population also. That is what the DNR wanted and they got it.
              Here in NM they are reintroducing the Mexican Gray Wolf.
              I understand they're not much bigger than a coyote and hunters better be damned careful. Every single wolf is cataloged and accounted for.

To quote Wiki: "As of 2017, there are 143 Mexican wolves living wild and 240 in captive breeding programs."
              Last edited by Randy99CL; 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Beautiful animal!!

I gotta ask... why is he tethered to the post.. was he trying to escape?

CW

Comment

• xlcc
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2016

Looking at the carcass after he was skinned out it looks like the bullet hit a rib on the way in to his lungs and fragmented.It did not exit.The hide had a hole about an 1 1/2" long at the entry.When you hit bone that usually anchors them.Shoot them in the lungs and they sometimes run a ways.
                  A Trapper friend of mine that I gave the wolf too said the big grey male that I have been trying to get must have took a round out of this black as he was in a fight recently and his nuts got chewed up!When the Alpha male has competition for a female in a pack they will duke 'er out and the looser will be driven away from the pack to fend for himself or to find another female on it's own.
                  Another friend just called me,concerned because he has a lone mare on his place and saw 4 wolves this morning near his shop.He lives about 6 or 7 miles from me as the crow flies.

Comment

• rickt300
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

The wolf introduction destroyed the elk population below Jackson Hole. The wolf is the tool of the antihunters. Odd they are all about the savage way wolves kill but a human with a rifle thats just wrong to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X