• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

3rd Grendel wolf

This is the 3rd. wolf I shot with my Howa HB this winter.Another female,smaller than the others at about 95lbs or maybe 100lbs.Same load as before and about 200yds.DSCF3178 - Edited.jpgThe ice on the river is getting slushy now.I don't think I will go on it again unless we get a cold overnight enough to freeze the surface hard.
    The other two wolves measured 7 feet and the bigger one just over 7ft. from nose to tip of the tail.I have got a few in the past that were around 150 lbs. or a bit more.They were large males that had been well fed.The moose population is down around here so the wolves are not getting the amount of feed they enjoyed in the past.
    About 4 years ago at day break while out elk hunting in October a friend and I were watching a large open area.It was very windy.Out from a creek bottom a black wolf comes running across the opening.When I figured out what is was as still pretty dark,my buddy standing next to me said he's gone.I finally found my predator call in one of my jacket pockets and started to blow on it as hard as I could.On about the 3rd. or 4th. squeal the wolf stopped and looked our way.We were just standing by a willow bush.I blew the call call again.The wolf had something on his mind the way he went running past us but that free meal changed his mind and he came running towards us.At around 175yds he stopped to have another look.Big mistake.I raised my .375-08 and took an offhand shot.Even with the wind blowing as hard as it was you could hear that 250gr. bullet smack him.It pays to be prepared for the unexpected to happen....Later that morning I got a 6 point elk.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Awesome story about that black male wolf. Stay safe out there.

Did you already update the Game Knock Down Survey?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Powerman
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2016

I don't think this will apply to the knock down survey.

Comment

• xlcc
        Warrior
        • Feb 2016

More wolf pics

Here are more pictures of the wolves skinned out and one might be a bit graphic for some where I dug the bullet out20180317_123243 - Edited.jpgThis one was moving around a lot so I took the first shot that was presented.The bullet entered the ear and went down the neck.There were small fragments found throughout the wound channel.20180317_125402 - Edited.jpgThis is the bullet and a 100gr. AMAX beside.The black and grey are over 7 feet from tip of nose to tail.The other smaller gray needs to be washed and stretched on the boards.
        There was a large dark grey male with the one this morning but he did not present a good shot.He is the nicest one I've seen this winter.They are getting pretty nervous in the open.This is also the breeding season so they are moving around a lot.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by xlcc; 03-18-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• 6.8 klr
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2014

Do a lot of predator calling but have never saw a Wolf before. Beautiful pelts.
          Good shooting, Killin' them Elk and Moose eaters is areal good thing.

Comment

• drykilned
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2018

I have 2 remington 600's in 308. That 375-08 sounds intereting. What rifle is it based on? Barrel length?

Comment

• xlcc
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

My .375-08 is a Remington short action with a 20" HB.It is very accurate with Hornady 225's and Sierra 250's.Other bullets as well but these are my favorites.DSCF3113 - Edited.jpg...Here is a moose I wacked with it last fall.245yards

Comment

• Overwatcher
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2015

Nice work!!

Comment

Working...
                X