Heavy bullets in an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy bullets in an AR

Virgin member here, this is my first post. I'm thinking about getting an upper in 6.5 grendel to use for deer hunting. Are there any feeding problems with heavier bullets in the 6.5 grendel like there is with the 6.8 SPC? I think the 129gr. Hornady SST would be more than enough bullet for deer but I'm just worried about feeding problems. Any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. The best justificatio for the existence of the 6.5 Grendel I can think of lays in its ability to shoot so many great hunting bullets with out difficulty. I have shot bullets without feeding problems from 95-140 gr throught the AR Grendel. I have put maybe 300 rounds of Hornady 129gr SST through my Grendel AR without feeding difficulty. But I prefer to shoot 129 gr Horndy Spier points because for me they are cheaper and feed as well and shoot more accurate than the SST out to 250 yards anyway. I suggest you start with the 123gr factory Hornady load for deer. Consider the 100 and 125 gr Nossler Partation the 130g Swift and 120 gr Nossler BT. But dont neglect looking @ the cheap 120 gr remington and other traditional lead bullets, They all work real well if you penetrate into the chest cavity and all the bullets I mentioned probally penetrate at lease 18 inches in a deer. The all copper barnes are probaby the best but are pricey. good luck

Comment

I've had no feeding issues running 100gr NBT's up to 123gr Scenars loaded long. I've also run those 123gr Wolf Soft Points without feeding issues. I have an AA 16" Grendel barrel/bolt, M16 carrier, Spike's ST-T2 buffer, CProducts mags. I just picked up some Nosler 120gr BT's, and will load those up this week.

Comment

Working...
      X