• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motoxxx_ryder
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

TX public lands

I got 120 hours of PTO stored plus whatever i get this year. Needless to say i need a vacation.

Id like tro do some pig hunting in TX spending a week or so camping and hunting, but the issue is most of the research just shows ranches you can hunt on. Can anyone point me to a few public pieces of land that are available to hunt and camp on that hold some fresh bacon? Preferably west side of the state as i'm driving in from Vegas.

6.5 for the longer shots and 458 Socom for those who get within 50.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Not that much on the Western side of Texas for public land, most of that is in the eastern portion of the state. Look up the regs on hunting public in Texas, there are lots of places with pigs, some is pretty open and some is draw hunts or via public permit. Access varies depending on the location.

A page you might find helpful. http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      Not that much on the Western side of Texas for public land, most of that is in the eastern portion of the state. Look up the regs on hunting public in Texas, there are lots of places with pigs, some is pretty open and some is draw hunts or via public permit. Access varies depending on the location.

A page you might find helpful. http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/
      actually seen that shortly after posting and noticed that im SOL on the west side. May just suck it up take a 7 day trip towards the east side and do some hunting and fishing. Ill probably shoot them an email as well just hoping to get some local knowledge of public areas that might have a higher probability.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Pretty good population around Cooper and Bois-D-Arc (lake Crockett and Coffee Mill) those are north east of Dallas.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I would look around the northeast cornor of texas, what they call the hill country, they have some public ground that should still have some good hog hunting on it and it would put you close to the sam rayborn and toledo bend lake area, both lakes are know for world class fishing and toledo bend lake is the new number one nation bass lake.

Also if you come in that area you are close enough to my area in louisiana that you can get on some pigs in louisiana as well.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

The places I mentioned are not far from lake Fork which is pretty good fishing. There are lots of hogs on public land just can be hard to find.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

Kmon took a look at the lake fork area, the WMA in the area has archery all year and shotgun only early in the year so that might be out, id like to use the 458, easier to handle then my 28 inch shotgun, and i dont have nearly enough bow practice.

With that in mind looks like all the way east is a good heading.

Moore plantation http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/...ources/902.pdf
              sabine river authority http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/...ources/630.pdf

both look to have pigs and a water source, figure i can start in the sabine area as it has a camping area i can setup shop there and do some hiking by the river for sign.

for anyone in the area, do you know if there are 4wd paths in the woods or should will i be doing alot more spot and stalk and earning my shots? Also ill find out if baiting is legal and maybe pickup some bags of corn from a feed store on the way in.

Also for you local to TX is it legal to hunt with a suppressor?
              Last edited by motoxxx_ryder; 01-13-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

In general, suppressors are fine. I do not know if there are any weird regulations on WMA lands, however. I doubt there are, but I have not looked into it.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Best thing to do is call texas game warden service and tell them where,when,how and what you are looking to hunt and they will have the info you need.

If you do make it to sabine area look me up im just acroos the lake in louisiana got a wma near my home that has some hogs on it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I cant speak for texas but wma lands in louisiana dont allow bait at all and atv's can only be used to transport down game and only one atv can be used and no more then two passangers. And you can only hunt hogs with whats open for deer at the time. When deer season ends you can hunt hogs with any caliber of rifle. Not sure about hunting with a suppressor in louisiana.

Comment

Working...
                    X