• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heorot
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Boar hog takes a dirt nap

I've had this hog terrorizing my feeders for most of the deer season. He came out New Years day but the wind was from behind me and I got busted.. Came out again on Saturday and the winds had shifted in my favour.

Took him at about 130 yards, a bit high on the shoulder with a 123 grain A-Max from my PF Grendel. He was DRT with pieces of the bullet jacket lodged in the far side gristle plate, which was almost an inch thick.

He's now resting comfortably in the deep freeze, never to eat my corn and dig up my feeders again.

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Congrats on a nice harvest! The 123gr AMAX is actually a very impressive hunting bullet when you look at what it does, even though it was meant to be a target bullet.

Expansion, penetration, and weight retention are exceptional with it. Great game cam pics as well.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Nice job! I so want to hunt pigs someday!
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• wraith1516
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Am4966 I heard there were a bunch over by oscota some college kid home on tgiving break shot a 300# one looks like it was an escaped russian woods n water had a small wright up on it think it was the December issue

Comment

• pkee
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

Nice pig . What but stock are you using ?

Comment

• Heorot
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

The stock is a M.A.G.S. EFX-A1. http://www.stagarms.com/m-a-g-s-efx-a1-buttstock-kit/

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

a dandy!
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• pkee
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

thanks for the link .

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Good shooting and one more down in the swine invasion war.

Comment

• Heorot
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    The 123gr AMAX is actually a very impressive hunting bullet when you look at what it does, even though it was meant to be a target bullet. Expansion, penetration, and weight retention are exceptional with it.
                    It is amazing to me how good a hunting round Hornady's match bullet is. In the last year it's killed deer, turkey and pigs like a death ray. The Grendel has left the .308 and .280 TC Pro Hunter and AR10 in the safe to gather dust. And it's damn fun to shoot!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement all, I've got plenty of hogs to clean up on my property before spring turkey season...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Heorot View Post
                      It is amazing to me how good a hunting round Hornady's match bullet is. In the last year it's killed deer, turkey and pigs like a death ray. The Grendel has left the .308 and .280 TC Pro Hunter and AR10 in the safe to gather dust. And it's damn fun to shoot!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement all, I've got plenty of hogs to clean up on my property before spring turkey season...
                      That is the same experience for me. My .270 Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 Featherweight stays on the shelf, and my .260 Rem rarely goes out anymore. I'm only building more Grendel's. It's just a pleasant round to shoot, with respectable energy on target that hits way harder than you would think when you look at this little case.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X