• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

AA wait time

Lately I been toying with the idea of putting together a Grendel. That's a task outside my experience, not to mention my comfort zone. (I've always bought complete guns, straight off the display rack, and then only after handling them to check for fit and feel.)

Am interested in a 14.5" carbine or maybe a 16" mid-length upper, with chrome-lined barrel. AA shows both on their website, but when I queried about availability, this was the reply:
    Standard lead time for the Grendel uppers is 4-6 weeks.....and right now the bolt and barrel (16") is also backordered for 6 weeks.
    I'm not sure if that combines for a total wait time of 10-12 weeks, but is this typical of gun makers these days?

The only gun I ever special ordered was a Steyr AUG, but that was so long ago I don't remember how much time elapsed between order and delivery.

Either call AA or call Bob at Templar, Stan you know they will take care of you.

Templar does not do Chrome lined, but does do Melonited bbls which are extremely tough.

Just give Melissa at AA a call and tell them what you need.

Good to hear you are up to shooting again.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Here's a used AA upper that might have a chrome-lined barrel like you were seeking previously. (Ad doesn't specify, but I think the AA Tactical model has a chrome-lined barrel.) And you might have to ask the seller to remove the flash hider if not legal in your area.

Drifter

Comment

Stanc,
        Your wait time seems so short, as mine a couple of years ago was about 5mos. I have the AA 16" tactical and it is very accurate and light. The chrome lined bbl is great, but if I had it to do over I would go with the Melonite treatment.

Comment

I just ordered a 16" weapon from AA and the wait time was 4-6, although she said it MAY be done early. I will keep you guys posted.

Comment

stanc-
            I'm considering having Templar build me another upper. If so, I have a 16" AA Tactical upper I may be willing to let go of. Thie barrel was manufactured by Sabre Defence Industries and has a mil spec chrome lined barrel with a 1:7.5 twist. It has less than 100 rounds through it. PM me if interested.

Comment

Build your upper yourself. It is really easier than you would think.

Satern has cut rifled as well as button rifled barels in stock, ready to ship. Mine took about four days to get to East Texas.

Order the rest of your *parts as well as a barrel wrench from Midway. You will be shooting within a week.

*Complete upper, charging handle, bolt carrier, gas block, gas tube and hand guard of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gswamp View Post
                Build your upper yourself. It is really easier than you would think.

Satern has cut rifled as well as button rifled barels in stock, ready to ship. Mine took about four days to get to East Texas.

Order the rest of your *parts as well as a barrel wrench from Midway. You will be shooting within a week.

*Complete upper, charging handle, bolt carrier, gas block, gas tube and hand guard of your choice.
                I do not think you understand, Stan has had some health issues and is probably not able to build an upper for himself right now.

As for Rstewart, he can build an upper, but he is probably considering something fairly special and that is not easily accomplished in ones garage.

He competes and that is another level of expertise we should all aspire to.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I have no problem wrenching together uppers for 5.56 blasters, and might even consider plumbing my own hunting rifle. BUT...competition rifles are a conglomeration of little tiny details, each of which contributes to the overall accuracy of the rifle. MOST garage builders simply don't build enough rifles to find all those little things and do them correctly. They can make a rifle work, but bringing it up to those levels is very exacting.

My competition rifles are built by people who do it professionally.

RStewart, I suspect, wants that kind of a rifle if he wants a Templar.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post

As for Rstewart, he can build an upper, but he is probably considering something fairly special and that is not easily accomplished in ones garage
                    Originally posted by bwaites View Post

My competition rifles are built by people who do it professionally.

RStewart, I suspect, wants that kind of a rifle if he wants a Templar.
                    Absolutely correct. I have no problem putting a rifle together, but the upper I am considering is best left to professionsals.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by stanc
                      Yeah, I've been thinking seriously about it in the last few days, although it remains to be seen if I'm actually up to it. At the gun shop today, I shouldered an HK416 and then an M4 clone. I really shook very badly for several seconds until I got the gun locked into firing position. And of course it didn't help matters any that I'm right-handed, but was holding it to my left shoulder.

It'd be interesting to have read the minds of onlookers. I bet they were all wondering, "Why the heck is this guy allowed to have a rifle in his hands?" LOL
                      Don't worry about it Stan, I only have one arm and I get along OK. I get a kick out of scaring the bejesus out of guys at the gun club when I announce loudly that I'm going to go shoot a round of skeet and pick up a buddy's shotgun.

If you can shoot off a bench or prone get a PRS stock and mount a monopod on the rail on the bottom of the stock (it's covered by a slide off cap, so you don't see it in pictures). Having the butt supported takes all the muscle out of it and makes changing magazines a lot easier. I use the BT01QK, just press the button and move up or down for rough adjustment, then twist it for fine adjust.

They also make them with stud mounts for stocks without a rail.

Of course bags work too but the weight might be a little much for you.

Carry a card table to the range and set it up to shoot from if need be.

Comment

Working...
                      X