Cut Rifled Barrel Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Rifled Barrel Recommendations

I am working on a new build and am considering an 18 or 20 inch cut rifled barrel.
    Does anyone have a recommendation of where to procure a cut rifle barrel for
    each of the lengths listed above.
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

XCR has a barrel group buy thread on his website. Hehe, sorry. I would check with Mark at Precision Firearms. He often times has extra stock on hand that he doesn't advertise or update to his website. He just may have a barrel or two around.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tango29 View Post
      I am working on a new build and am considering an 18 or 20 inch cut rifled barrel.
      Does anyone have a recommendation of where to procure a cut rifle barrel for
      each of the lengths listed above.
      Check with Lilja too.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
        Check with Lilja too.
        Lilja barrels are not cut-rifled.
        Drifter

Comment

• Sputnik
          Warrior
          • May 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
          Drifter, You know I raised my eyebrows when I read this. But I went back to PF website for the Lilja barrel description and it did not say they were rifle cut and most will say that if they are. It says specifically rifle cut for my Bartlein barrel, so I never paid any mind to the Lilja. Not sure about the Krieger barrels, even though they don't mention what their cuts are. Anyway, Mark may have "New old Stock" items that would fit Tango's needs.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

I agree see Mark at PF.

Lilja barrels are button not cut. When talking hand lapped barrels this distinction is really negligible. It's the barrel maker's ability that makes all the difference here.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Kreiger are cut rifled.

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                I thought they were with the long wait we had. Now If they shoot as good as there suppose to then the using a Real Cut Barrels you must be able to shoot in the dark and get sub-moa....

I never looked that close but just checked there site, wow, for that price its not much more for rifle cut for some brands. Guess its just the long wait...order now for next year maybe...

Comment

Krieger
                  Bartlein
                  Obermeyer
                  Rock Creek

The high-end button rifled barrels are a wait because they are hand-lapped, just like cut-rifled barrels. Bartlein is the fastest cut-rifled barrel because of CNC.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Krieger
                    Bartlein
                    Obermeyer
                    Rock Creek

The high-end button rifled barrels are a wait because they are hand-lapped, just like cut-rifled barrels. Bartlein is the fastest cut-rifled barrel because of CNC.
                    Brux are also good and cut rifled.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                      I thought they were with the long wait we had. Now If they shoot as good as there suppose to then the using a Real Cut Barrels you must be able to shoot in the dark and get sub-moa....

I never looked that close but just checked there site, wow, for that price its not much more for rifle cut for some brands. Guess its just the long wait...order now for next year maybe...
                      :? What?

The wait was because of how long it took to get the bolts to Lilja and then the timing of when they got them.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You can have both high end button and cut-rifled barrels, both types will be hand-lapped for a smooth bore free of normal defects seen in crap rack-grade barrels for mass production.

Benchrest and precision shooters use both types of rifled barrels. Truly competitive shooters will have several barrels on-hand to choose from for a match-winning hummer. The individual barrel will sing its own song, whether it is cut or precision-buttoned.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Cut rifled barrels have a reputation for holding accuracy up to twice as long as buttoned barrels, as well.

If that holds true in the Grendel, you could expect an accurate life of over 8000 rounds with a cut barrel. My first buttoned barrel lasted 5000+ rounds with 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Comment

I've always been partial to Krieger barrels, not that they are the most accurate, there are many good barrels, but they are consistently accurate. Here is a set of groups I shot today from a 6.5 Grendel Krieger barrel.

Bob

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                              :? What?

The wait was because of how long it took to get the bolts to Lilja and then the timing of when they got them.
                              Just got home but I wasn't complaining one bit. I know he also made custom adjustments to the contours for us after out long debate of which ones he would do also and so on. It was a great effort you put forth and now they will become a continuous product. I think he is going to be getting lots of orders.

Comment

Working...
                              X