First AR build and have a barrel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First AR build and have a barrel question

I'm in the process of getting together all the components that I'll need for my first AR build. All that I have left to buy are the barrel, BCG, gas tube and gas block. I'm going with either a 6.5 grendel or the .264lbc depending on what barrel I buy. I plan on using a muzzle brake on the barrel so I'll want the barrel threaded. I'm looking at either the Satern 20" 6.5 Grendel(R) 1-8.75 twist .750GB NOT FLUTED Crowned/Threaded which is on their discontinued page. I had a few questions that I asked them via email and haven't heard back yet but maybe someone here can help. Does this come with a bolt? Is the barrel threading an extra fee and what thread pattern do they cut? Another option is the Black Hole Weaponry http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/cat...roducts_id=185
    And the third option is from Alexander Arms https://www.alexanderarms.com/item/1...relandbolt.htm
    Now I know that there are differences in all three of these barrels but which one is going to be the best for the cost? I plan on shooting mainly targets but will most likely take it deer hunting too. I know the Satern is cut rifled and that the BHW is different than the button rifled AA barrel but which is best? I know that "best" is really subjective but I'm looking for people to post up their experiences with any of these barrels. Is it worth the extra $ for cut rifling? Thoughts?

I have a les bear custom 6.5g barrel and a krieger thoughs are cut rifling and a lothar wather button they all shoot great. to me i cant really tell which shoots the best i'm not that steady all shoot between 1/2 and 7/8 at 100 when i do my part so to me it comes down to what you want and what you want to spend and how fast you can get it. but that said i really like the krieger barrel the best

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The Satern barrel will come with a bolt. For the barrel you spoke of, I believe that muzzle threading is included in the price, and my guess is that the threads are 9/16"x24. Of course, you would need to confirm with them, but that's my experience from buying in-stock 6.5 barrels from them on two different occasions. (Both of my Satern barrels have performed admirably.)
      Drifter

Comment

Satern offers a least a couple of different thread patterns for the Grendel. I would imagine you get to choose.

Comment

Bolt and threading are included in price and they do offer several thread pitches.
          I've had good luck calling in the early AM to have questions answered and little wait. After lunch and email seems to a lost cause sometimes. Considering the quality they offer you can't fault them for getting busy.

Cheers, Will

Comment

Sounds good, I'll try and give them a call in the AM.

Comment

Working...
            X