lightweight, slim handrail suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightweight, slim handrail suggestions

I'm looking to get a handrail for my 16" build. It will be used for hunting and I don't feel the need for too many picatinny rails.
    My primary concerns are that it be lightweight and slim.

Two examples that I like, but have the flat top running the length, are these two:

One problem is finding the weights of the different rails...

I currently have the Parallax Tactical FFSSR on my 5.56 build and I really like it, but am looking for other alternatives. Perhaps a slim carbon model?
  • customcutter

I bought the Diamondhead for my Grendel build. Like you said didn't want the tactical rails. I was going to get a Jarrett until I saw this one. I bought from Primary Arms, but he is currently out of stock. Great customer service. It feels great in the hand, but I don't have it on a rifle yet, waiting on my 18" barrel.

For a carbon fiber look in the Industry Partners in this forum. Hers's a link. Probably the lightest if weight is your main issue

Edit: Another reason I bought the Diamondhead was I liked the way their barrel nut is engineered. No lining up notches for the gas tube to fool with.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Hey hey. That's a slick looking deal there. Anyone have that diamond head mounted up in anything? Would love to see how it looks.

Comment

cc, it was your post that made me start looking at the Diamondhead rail. Are you able to attach rails at the front if you decide you want to use a bipod?

It looks like the rockhollowtactical.com site is inaccessible.

In the post you made, cc, I think Tedward provided a pic of the 10.25" rail on his 16" build but the link isn't working right now.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Shop firearms, accessories, and more at Midwest Industries, Inc. — all made with the American quality you expect and deserve.

These are one of my favorite, just don't tighten the two clamp screws too tight or you can break the tabs off that go on to the barrel nut. Put green loc-tite on the out side of the barrel nut before you install the hand guard. Very slim and light, perfect for hunting.

Comment

That is a good looking one, montana. And, at 9.3 oz for the 12", not too heavy. I'll add that to my list of considered rails. Thanks.

Comment

• customcutter

IIRC, Tedward was the one that I saw that made me consider the Diamondhead.:-)

I also saw another thread where someone wanted to attach rails to the side and bottom. The rails from Diamondhead are a little pricey, but they used another brand and they worked fine. There are screw holes down both sides and bottom, from front to back.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=450

These are one of my favorite, just don't tighten the two clamp screws too tight or you can break the tabs off that go on to the barrel nut. Put green loc-tite on the out side of the barrel nut before you install the hand guard. Very slim and light, perfect for hunting.
                I have this hand guard on my lightweight build:
                Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                Bedded the gas block and barrel this evening, then finished assembly. She weighs a mere 5.45 lbs without any optic or magazine.
                Attached Files
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

What is the length of your rail and your barrel, BjornF16?
                  I'm thinking my build will end up with a similar color scheme.

Comment

The Midwest Industries Gen II SS comes with 3 rails already, and a bipod stud. One of the rails has a QD socket in it for your sling swivel. They are one of the lightest aluminum handguards on the market, if not the lightest.

If I had known about this one below, I would have ordered it with my last Brownell's order:

Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

LRRPF52, if you had known about the Midwest Industries Gen II SS, you would have gotten it? Not sure if the pic was supposed to be after that comment or before it, as it ended up.

I see Brownells has it in black and flat dark earth, and Midway has it in those colors as well as OD green. Ultimately, I'm thinking of OD green for some parts and black for others for a sorta poor mans camo....something to disrupt the silhouette at least.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfornelli View Post
                        LRRPF52, if you had known about the Midwest Industries Gen II SS, you would have gotten it? Not sure if the pic was supposed to be after that comment or before it, as it ended up.

I see Brownells has it in black and flat dark earth, and Midway has it in those colors as well as OD green. Ultimately, I'm thinking of OD green for some parts and black for others for a sorta poor mans camo....something to disrupt the silhouette at least.
                        I would have ordered the MI SSK Key Mod, because it has integral QD sockets for your sling swivels. I Cerakote all my personal guns, usually with FDE as you can see, then do a professional color fill with paint, not chalk. It's a lot of work, but I like the touch.

Comment

• customcutter

Here's a Diamondhead mounted on a nice stick. Did a search for Diamondhead.

Hello All, I started building my Grendel earlier this year, piece by piece it came together. I am still in the process of working up good loads for precision. Hopefully I can get that nailed down soon; I'm going to shoot it in a tactical precision match in three weeks instead of my .308 that did well for me last year at the

Just weighed the 13.5" Diamondhead 19.85oz's. on the wife's cheap kitchen scales. So 10 oz's more if that's one of the main criteria. That includes the barrel nut and screws.

Comment

Okay, I see the Key Mod pic now. Looks like they removed even more material to make it lighter.
                            I'm not too familiar with the Key Mod rails. Would that work on my Mega billet upper? How about my JD Machine forged upper?
                            I like the idea of it looking like one long extended upper receiver.

From the pics I've seen of your cerakoting work, you do a good job and I would feel very comfortable having you do some work for me.

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

My current favorite of the slim modular handguards is the Centurion CMR:

Link: https://www.centurionarms.net/index....tem&Itemid=189

More images on this link:

Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X