• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Best Lower?

Interested in hearing from the forum
    Last edited by Klem; 08-15-2015, 06:48 AM.

Forged or billet?

If you're talking about forged, the most affordable one you can get. I haven't seen a bad lower since 2003, and that one was made back in the 1980's by a drunk with one eye, if you asked me.

I just ordered some from PSA with their Black Friday deal that is the lowest I have paid for a lower ever. I thought I would never see 7075T6 Type III anodized lowers for less than $49.95 ever again, but the post Sandy Hook era delivered! $79.99 with a lower parts kit-couldn't believe it.

Comment

Wow, that is a good price.
      I'm kinda partial to Mega Arms lowers but also have a JD Machine forged lower.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I like the spikes tactical forged lowers and the seekins.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          Interested in hearing from the forum as to what you think is the best stripped lower on the market.

My criteria is the most precise tolerances, quality of metal and finish. Not interested in brand image or embossed sharks teeth, or engraved pictures of zombies. Standard design and function.
          Mega

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Forged or billet?

If you're talking about forged, the most affordable one you can get. I haven't seen a bad lower since 2003, and that one was made back in the 1980's by a drunk with one eye, if you asked me.

I just ordered some from PSA with their Black Friday deal that is the lowest I have paid for a lower ever. I thought I would never see 7075T6 Type III anodized lowers for less than $49.95 ever again, but the post Sandy Hook era delivered! $79.99 with a lower parts kit-couldn't believe it.
            I had no plans to build another AR in the near future but I couldn't pass that one up. I ordered several. Can't wait to get them. I actually have enough parts laying around to put together another Frankengun.

And I agree- It's hard to find a bad lower these days. Every once in a while you might have to do some fitting between uppers & lowers of different manufacture but they still will work.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

I'm partial to billet but you will pay a lot more. Having used both if I was pinching pennies I'd get the forged. Stick with known names and 7075-T6 that's hard anodized and you will be fine.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Be careful when ordering billet lowers, some components like the Magpul B.A.D. lever wont fit.

Comment

Originally posted by montana View Post
                  Be careful when ordering billet lowers, some components like the Magpul B.A.D. lever wont fit.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                    Truly! Of all the simple pieces of metal, the Magpul B.A.D. lever is my favorite accessory—and it does not fit our Seekins lowers :-(

On our Seekins Grendel, the length of the projection on their standard bolt release lever interferes with release and hold-open. They make a special order bolt release lever that has solved those problems, but it does not fit the B.A.D. lever.

I have been eyeing the B.A.D. lever and the metal file in my tool chest, but have not yet laid hand to task.
                    Phase 5 will work on the Seekins and the ambi-bolt catch part still functions.

DO NOT buy a Vision Armory anything. I waited weeks for the delivery and the surface was pitted, grind marks and the upper take down pin lug was filed, raw aluminum exposed when it came to my FFL. I refused it and still did not receive my credit. It's been 2 weeks. I read bad reviews on AR-15 but thought they fixed it on the Gen I. This was a Gen II and crap. I wouldn't have used it for a paperweight.

I went to that RMR site Longdayjake recommended in post "Seekins Muzzle Break" and they had Vision Armory on there site. I have no clue if they have ever seen any of V.A. parts but once I fix my photo issue on this forum, I'll post pictures. I told Brink at Vision Armory I would be embarrassed if my company sent anything out like that. Awful....and no reply still.

So any Forged lower but Vision Armory in my opinion.
                    Last edited by Tedward; 12-16-2013, 05:08 PM. Reason: typo add note

Comment

Doesn't 2VA use the Phase V? That thing is the business, and will work on Seekins.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

I like the sun devil bullet lower it has a tension screw and have been looking to get seekens precision ambi lower which also has the tension screw
                        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Originally posted by MrFrankZ View Post
                          Doesn't 2VA use the Phase V? That thing is the business, and will work on Seekins.
                          Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                          Phase 5 will work on the Seekins and the ambi-bolt catch part still functions....
                          Have either of you gents used the Phase 5 on a Seekins lower receiver with Grendel magazines?

Thanks to your lead, I just snagged one of these for our 5.56 SAC/Seekins as a stocking stuffer for Christmas, but I suspect that the anterior projection activated by the magazine follower is not optimized for the Grendel mags.

In the never-ending quest for a better charging handle, I couldn't resist snagging one of these also:

Comment

No, my Seekins lower was originally on my 556 with the Phase 5. I don't have one on my Grendel yet but the V1 is on my Christmas list..

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

I have one on my Grendel but that is a Loki Lower I test fit it on my Seekins to use it for a bolt hold back but since the Seekins has the right bolt release I took it off. To many gadgets on one setup.
                              Last edited by Tedward; 12-17-2013, 02:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X