What tools do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tools do you use?

I'm still in the procurement stage of my build. But it's time to start looking into buying the tools I'll nerd to do my build. What armours wrench, vice blocks and magwell blocks are you using? What do the pro's use and and please list any tools I haven't mentioned. Midway is having a gunsmithing tool sale right now. So its a good time to pick up those long wanted tools that just haven't made it into your box yet.
  • kg4kpg
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2013

Torque wrench with 3/8" drive with foot pounds, punch set, no-recoil hammer, strap wrenches. My receiver blocks are ProMag I think, and my armorers wrench is by DPMS but there are several other brands. Front sight bench block. I also have a mini-maglight and I found this cap for it that has a fiber-optic line sticking out of it about 6 inches. Works great for shining light in tight spots.

Last edited by kg4kpg; 11-21-2013, 02:35 PM.
    If you are an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran please visit this site, you've earned it.
    http://www.outwardbound.org/course-f...ran-adventures

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

I've got a good trinity armour's wrench I use. All the good ones are about the same. You'll want a torque wrench and receiver block for your barrel nut install.

I don't use punches other than for installing a trigger. A good trick I've found is using a channel lock to install the pins. I wrap the jaws in electrical tape so I don't mar the lower. If you take your time and adjust the wrench accordingly they go in much smoother than using a punch. Craftsman sells rubber covers for wrenches. I've recently bought some, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• explorecaves

I also like to have a set of SpringTools punches available for those tight spots (I use them on more than just gun stuff). http://springtools.shptron.com/p/lon...unch-set?pp=24 They can be found cheaper on amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
          A good trick I've found is using a channel lock to install the pins. I wrap the jaws in electrical tape so I don't mar the lower.
          +1
          I use a C Clamp with electrical tape applied liberally on the feet. Works like a charm if you have the lower in an articulating vise.

Comment

I believe my barrel nut wrench is a PRI, but it is much better than the normal armorer's wrench for installing nuts.

Comment

• GMinor
              Warrior
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
              I also like to have a set of SpringTools punches available for those tight spots (I use them on more than just gun stuff). http://springtools.shptron.com/p/lon...unch-set?pp=24 They can be found cheaper on amazon.
              Never seen that before. Thanks.. That is a pretty good idea

Comment

• Smud Dude
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2011

See if you can get a copy of Zediker"s Competitive AR15 Builders Guide (check Amazon). It's spiral bound, and meant to be a bench manual. He does go into painful detail, but he covers 4 different types of builds, with tool requirements and techniques. If that's not enough detail then his Competitive AR15 goes even further.
                Good luck with your build, and don't leave the hoard as an un-used resource.
                Cheers
                Sugabat Sed Pefecidamus 5B89
                The only time you've used too much HE is when you're in the frag zone.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by GMinor View Post
                  Never seen that before. Thanks.. That is a pretty good idea
                  Just remember to protect the receiver because the tail of the spring tool does shake a bit after making the strike.

Comment

Working...
                  X