X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SG4247
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

Sorry to keep this thread rolling, this newbie still has questions.

I was so impressed their first Grendel bolt I bought from AR Performance, I ordered a spare. They fit an Armalite barrel extension perfectly...like a glove. Very nice bolt design, and super manufacturing quality.

My AR Performance super bolts measure a .130" face depth. So, I chambered two custom barrels using bolts from AR Performance. Both are head spaced for the AR performance bolt +.001". Then I bought two more .264 Grendel barrels less bolts.

I have 400 rounds on the first ARP bolt and it looks perfect. Rifle functions perfectly with both Hornaday and Lapua brass.

Now compared to a Sota 7.62 or a standard 5.56 we know they both measure .125" bolt face depth.

The 7.62 x 39 bolts I have here, are no way near as good dimensionally as the AR Performance piece. I cannot speak to materials or heat treating, but it is very discouraging to hear that they will no longer be available from AR Performance.

Two questions:

1. Woohoo, where do I get an exact replacement extractor?
    2. Woohoo, will anyone's bolt headspace correctly to my barrels that were made using your bolts?

You say the 7.62 x 39 will work in a pinch, well if it does, I dont see it working for very long....
    NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
      Sorry to keep this thread rolling, this newbie still has questions.

I was so impressed their first Grendel bolt I bought from AR Performance, I ordered a spare. They fit an Armalite barrel extension perfectly...like a glove. Very nice bolt design, and super manufacturing quality.

My AR Performance super bolts measure a .130" face depth. So, I chambered two custom barrels using bolts from AR Performance. Both are head spaced for the AR performance bolt +.001". Then I bought two more .264 Grendel barrels less bolts.

I have 400 rounds on the first ARP bolt and it looks perfect. Rifle functions perfectly with both Hornaday and Lapua brass.

Now compared to a Sota 7.62 or a standard 5.56 we know they both measure .125" bolt face depth.

The 7.62 x 39 bolts I have here, are no way near as good dimensionally as the AR Performance piece. I cannot speak to materials or heat treating, but it is very discouraging to hear that they will no longer be available from AR Performance.

Two questions:

1. Woohoo, where do I get an exact replacement extractor?
      2. Woohoo, will anyone's bolt headspace correctly to my barrels that were made using your bolts?

You say the 7.62 x 39 will work in a pinch, well if it does, I dont see it working for very long....
      Armalite has stopped making 7.62x39 extractors, take a look at RGUNS.

The difference between the back of the lug and the face of the bolt is the critical dimension, compare those. It seems many extensions being used now are shallow, front to face of lugs. They should be .907". If the depth is shallow and the shank on the barrels are normal length then a normal bolt with a .278"+ lug length will not fit between the 2.
      That is why the recess is only .130", the front of the bolt was machined slightly shorter. I can always make more if one breaks, it's just that we are not going to produce them to sell.

Comment

Working...
      X